Two Iraqi 250 Fils: 1971 and 1980

Started by Rangnath, September 09, 2008, 07:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

I completed a trade with a coin collector in Iraq.  I won't go into detail about my fascination with Iraq, the Middle East in general and my country's (USA) involvement in the region.  Suffice it to say that it is too political and emotional to be appropriate in this site. 
I present these two coins for a couple of reasons.  First, I find the images and content compelling historically.  Second, I am curious about the reasons for the change in coin size and composition. 
Coin A is Km 131, 1970, 250 Fils. The subject is the 1st anniversary of "Peace with Kurds".  The Ba'ath Party, recently in power through the tactics of a very youthful Saddam Hussein, had concluded a limited autonomy agreement with the Kurds.  It is 14.9 grams and 33 mm across.  The composition is Nickel. 
Coin B is Km 146, 1980, 250 Fils.  The subject is the 1st anniversary of Hussein as President.  It is 13.1 grams and 30 mm across.  The composition is Copper and Nickel. 

What might the switch from Nickel to Copper-Nickel and the size of the coin from 33 mm to 30 and the weight from 14.9 grams to 13.1 grams possibly indicate?  Is the copper-nickel coin cheaper to produce than the all nickel one?  Does this change suggest a de-valued Dinar?
richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,
  Those are very nice coins that you've got there.Some years ago,I bought a collection of Iraqi coins off a dealer,which included the top coin,but not the bottom coin.

Some of the Iraqi commemorative coins are not easy to find,especially the Saddam Hussein commemorative coins.

The Saddam Hussein coins are popular with those who are collecting coins with dictators on them.The older coins of Turkmenistan depict a dictator who was just as much a crackpot as Saddam Hussein was - Saparmarat Niyazov.He was a real fruitcake whose legacy has been to leave a majority of the Turkmen people in poverty,in addition to building monuments to himself,just like both Saddam Hussein & Kim Il-Sung of North Korea.

Aidan.

Afrasi

Hello!

As far as I know the second coin is not struck in Cu-Ni, but in Austenite, a non-magnetic steel. Steel is cheaper and more long-living ...

Afrasi

Rangnath

Interesting information Afrasi. Is Austenite a common metal in coins?
richie

translateltd

I don't think it's quite the same alloy, but Italian steel coins of the early wartime period (1939-43, from memory) come in both magnetic and non-magnetic versions. They used the term  "Acmonital" (an acronym for "Italian Monetary Steel"), but I'm not sure if that applied to both the magnetic and non-magnetic versions.

There's an interesting general article on the subject of steel for coinage here: http://www.saimm.co.za/publications/downloads/v093n07p153.pdf

Afrasi

I think there are more coins made of austenite steel. You can read here about austenite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austenite

Afrasi