Gahadavalas of Kanauj, Govinda Chandra, AE 4½ Masha,

Started by capnbirdseye, February 09, 2013, 07:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

Got this in a job lot,I've seen this type before but can't recall what they are

3.88g   AE18
Vic

Quant.Geek

It looks like a coin from Gahadvala.  Haven't seen one in copper, but in gold.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gahadvala

Ram
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

capnbirdseye

Quote from: Quant.Geek on February 09, 2013, 07:26:24 PM
It looks like a coin from Gahadvala.  Haven't seen one in copper, but in gold.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gahadvala

Ram

It does look the same inc the legend, a quick look on Google  only shows gold coins as you pointed out  ???

Inscription in Nagari script :'Shrimad-Govindachandra'.
Vic

capnbirdseye

I found similar coins  under Muhammad bin Sam but still in gold only
Vic

Figleaf

Are there traces of gilding on the central part of the left illustration, in particular on the two dots?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

capnbirdseye

Quote from: Figleaf on February 10, 2013, 03:58:51 PM
Are there traces of gilding on the central part of the left illustration, in particular on the two dots?

Peter

No, it's just the light when I took the photo giving that impression,
Vic

capnbirdseye

Seems this type of coin is known in copper according to reply on zeno :-

Rajput dynasties, Gahadavalas of Kanauj, Govinda Chandra, AE 4½ Masha, Deyell 147. Normally base gold (may be trimetallic) but also known in copper

Vic

capnbirdseye

Another of these has turned up almost identical to the other one, in fact they seem to be struck from the same dies & what is the chances of that  :o
Vic

capnbirdseye

Here's the two together, definitely a die match for a presumed fairly uncommon coin
Vic

Figleaf

No doubt. Die identical. Fascinating! I have tried to work out which coin was struck first, but found it impossible to separate die wear from coin wear.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

capnbirdseye

Quote from: Figleaf on January 13, 2014, 12:56:59 AM
No doubt. Die identical. Fascinating! I have tried to work out which coin was struck first, but found it impossible to separate die wear from coin wear.

Peter

On faceboook there is some doubt that these coins were ever issued in copper, there is a ref in Deyell  147. Normally base gold (may be trimetallic) but also known in copper but i don't have that book to check if there is anything else mentioned, so if anyone has the book please check  8)
Vic