Author Topic: Completed Soviet Union 3 kopek set  (Read 1986 times)

Offline gxseries

Completed Soviet Union 3 kopek set
« on: February 02, 2013, 06:40:07 PM »
Finally completed the toughest 3 kopek set with these two coins. Only exception is the 1958 3 kopek, which is extremely hard to obtain / pricey.

Starting with this one year coin that is struck in the large planchet or the old Imperial Russian coin standard from 1924, this lasted till 1991.

1924 3 kopek

The rest of the coins can be seen here:

http://gxseries.com/numis/rus_new_type/russia_3k_21_pg1_small.jpg

http://gxseries.com/numis/rus_new_type/russia_3k_61_pg1_small.jpg

Been a bit too busy to create the pages for the reverse but you get the idea. :)

This came as a surprise as I thought other Soviet denominations would have been easier to fill but it turns out to be very very wrong.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Completed Soviet Union 3 kopek set
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 07:02:18 PM »
My understanding is that de to the 1958 reforms. only pattern 3 kopeks were struck. I would not count those as coins, though.

I find it surprising that the Soviet Union never issued coins in other metals to save strategic metals for the war industry. Propaganda or inertia?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline ciscoins

• Coins of CIS and Baltic countries
Re: Completed Soviet Union 3 kopek set
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 01:40:26 PM »
My understanding is that de to the 1958 reforms. only pattern 3 kopeks were struck. I would not count those as coins, though.

Lots of coins were minted in 1958, that was a regular issue. But then the reform was delayed, and most of the mintage was withdrawn from the banks and remelted. Some Ukrainian department of the Central Bank made a mistake and put some small amount of the coins of 1958 into circulation in 1961 or later - so now most of the known pieces are rather worn.
Ivan
Moscow, Russia