News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

Delhi Coin Show 2013

Started by Bimat, January 26, 2013, 05:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

asm

It appears that they tried to move ahead with the auction later in the day but it was a disaster.........(not seen it my self but this is what I was told). A gentleman from Punjab went back home and a local dealer told me that I could meet him in his shop tomorrow.......I did see a few guys leave with the display frames just after I posted the previous message.

The info I got was almost similar to what birder has mentioned.........

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

cmerc

Quote from: birder on March 16, 2013, 02:45:57 PM
Organisers of the show wanted to increase the footfalls. They engaged a local agency for this purpose. The local FM radios continously broadcasting advertisements like "Do you know that old one rupee coin could be worth as much as Ten Lakh Rupees. That old copper one paisa could sell for thousands of Rupees. Come to the Coin exhibition with your old coins to sell and for free evaluation." Consequently thousands of people descended on the venue with their old coins, tokens, temple tokens, diwali ccoinds etc.

I got to the exhibition at ~5pm, and the story is very similar to what has already been posted.  By 5pm, the police were driving the people out.  People had come to the venue with bags of small change and one/two/five rupee notes.  Unrealistic advertising and lack of crowd control are definitely to blame.

However, the Todywalla Auction did happen.  There was a back entrance to the auction venue, but it seems that attendance had suffered due to the chaos. 

It doesn't look like the show will continue on Sunday, but no one is certain yet.  The person to contact is the President of the Delhi Coin Society: S. L. (Goga) Jain. 

Dr. Abhishek is organizing a late-morning get-together at Jantar Mantar followed by lunch on Sunday 17 March.  Details to follow. 
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

abhinumis

It was a utter disaster!! Gates were closed when I reached.. However met amitji(asm) and was there with him for 45 mins or so.. Avik attended the Todywala auction and Todywala has told the bid winners to collect their coins from the shop of a office bearer of Delhi coin Society.. I therefore request every Woc member to gather at Jantar Mantar at 10.30.. Atleast the idea of a get together should not go in vain.. Let us come together and discuss coins.. Members from Delhi can bring their coins to discuss and excess coins can be disposed off.. I've confirmation from Avik(cmerc), Amitji(asm), Tariq(ansari).. Hopefully everyone who had planned to visit Delhi coin exhibition will come together..
Dr.Abhishek

paisepagal

Quote from: abhinumis on March 16, 2013, 06:23:33 PM
It was a utter disaster!! Gates were closed when I reached.. However met amitji(asm) and was there with him for 45 mins or so.. Avik attended the Todywala auction and Todywala has told the bid winners to collect their coins from the shop of a office bearer of Delhi coin Society.. I therefore request every Woc member to gather at Jantar Mantar at 10.30.. Atleast the idea of a get together should not go in vain.. Let us come together and discuss coins.. Members from Delhi can bring their coins to discuss and excess coins can be disposed off.. I've confirmation from Avik(cmerc), Amitji(asm), Tariq(ansari).. Hopefully everyone who had planned to visit Delhi coin exhibition will come together..

Good on you all if the meeting happens   :)

asm

Quote from: paisepagal on March 16, 2013, 06:26:01 PM
Good on you all if the meeting happens   :)
I dont expect any hiccups with this meeting unless of course, Jantar Mantar is closed. ......... :o :o :o

Amit

abhinumis

There are plenty of places around Jantar Mantar.. What matters are the people!
Dr.Abhishek

Coinsforever

Quote from: abhinumis on March 16, 2013, 07:25:18 PM
There are plenty of places around Jantar Mantar.. What matters are the people!
Quote from: asm on March 16, 2013, 06:30:27 PM
I dont expect any hiccups with this meeting unless of course, Jantar Mantar is closed. ......... :o :o :o

Amit
I talked with Dr.Abhishek about sunday get together myself will be there. In case of any changes kindly inform.  Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Figleaf

That's the spirit, Abishek! Hope everyone makes it to the meeting. I am toasting you as I sit half a world away from you.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Coinsforever

Our attempts are not in vain . Finally we made it officially and  4 members met today in WOC get together at New Delhi , India

Here are photographs taken at downtown of New Delhi.

Cheers ;D

Figleaf

Excellent, those big grins and I suspect that there were coins in those bags, but who was the protected monument? Surely, Abhay is too young... :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

asm

It as Abhik, Abhishek, Ajay and Amit.............Did not realise all four names started with an A.

Amit

Abhay

I am sorry that I missed meeting all the members. I was at the coin show on Friday for almost all the day, and on Saturday from 10:00 AM till 1:00 PM.

Actually, the problems had started from Saturday Morning itself. Because of a news in Navbharat Times , lot of public had come with their old and torn 1 rupee notes hoping to get thousands in return. I myself explained to some of them that only if the note was from 1964, and that too, in good condition, could they get 10000 for the 1 rupee note. In fact, 90% of the crowd was neither collector nor interested in the exhibition, they were just interested to know how much their old coins and notes would fetch them. There were some anti social elements also in the crowd, who tried to loot the coins from some of the stalls, and this made all the dealers to shut their shops.

So, basically, everyone was blaming Mr. Malhotra of the Delhi Coin Society for giving that misleading news in the newspaper. It was because of this news, that the show had to be cancelled.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Coinsforever

Quote from: Figleaf on March 17, 2013, 11:41:33 AM
Excellent, those big grins and I suspect that there were coins in those bags, but who was the protected monument? Surely, Abhay is too young... :)

Peter

Protected Monument is Jantar Mantar, Delhi

Your guess is correct the bag contains Mughal coins.

I met Abhay Ji  & Birder Ji yesterday , 3 gentlemen today and talked with Kansal Ji as well.

So overall nice time spending with all .

Cheers ;D

dheer

Disappointing for genuine collectors ... looks like in the past year the growth rate of collectors is slowing down ... so this is like trying to give it an artificial boost to get more people hooked into the hobby
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

asm

The way the coin prices have skyrocketed in the last few years, it does not look like there is any shortage of collectors. However, greed to buy cheap (by encouraging more ignorant folks to come in to sell) was the (in my opinion) the reason for the disaster........ It was waiting to happen........the way it was handeled.

Amit