News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Menorah 20 Lirahs of Israel

Started by mrbrklyn, January 16, 2013, 05:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

this is a set that comes out every year, or at least it did, of different Chanukah Menorah traditions from around the world.

This one is from Damascus and I love the illusion of depth in this coin.

Figleaf

Yes, playing with depth is a strength of Israeli coin design, particularly in the fifties and sixties. Later design often looks flat. I think another strength is playing with the roundness of the coin. The two get together quite well in the 5 lirot 1959 Y18, with a circle extending out of the coin, but also in the Hadassah commemorative Y27, with a suggestively skewed aerial view (before Google Earth) of the complex on one side and a triangular mother-child composition on the other side.

The menorah I like best is the Y16, 5 lirot 1958. Make your own interpretation.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mrbrklyn

Quote from: Figleaf on January 16, 2013, 02:45:17 PM
Yes, playing with depth is a strength of Israeli coin design, particularly in the fifties and sixties. Later design often looks flat. I think another strength is playing with the roundness of the coin. The two get together quite well in the 5 lirot 1959 Y18, with a circle extending out of the coin, but also in the Hadassah commemorative Y27, with a suggestively skewed aerial view (before Google Earth) of the complex on one side and a triangular mother-child composition on the other side.

The menorah I like best is the Y16, 5 lirot 1958. Make your own interpretation.

Peter

a completely different kind of Menorah :)  Not for Chanukah

Figleaf

You're the expert there and I trust you are quite right. I am after form, not function here.

BTW, have you seen this thread?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mrbrklyn

Quote from: Figleaf on January 16, 2013, 10:36:47 PM
You're the expert there and I trust you are quite right. I am after form, not function here.

BTW, have you seen this thread?

Peter

the seven armed menora would be the one from the Temple.  The 9 arms is Chanukah.  I'll look at the thread tonight.