Author Topic: Kshatrapa dynasty: Rudrasena III (SE 270-300; 348-378 AD), AR Drachm, SE292  (Read 3118 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Mass=2.1 g

Obverse Bust right with close-fitting headdress; blundered Greek legend; Saka era date 292 behind bust.
Reverse Three-arched hill (chaitya), crescents and star above, river below; Brahmi legend Rajana Mahaksatrapasa Svami Rudradamaputrasa Rajna Mahaksatrapasa Svami Rudrasenasa (King, Great Viceroy Svami Rudradaman's son, King, Great Viceroy Svami Rudrasena) around.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 06:14:46 PM by THCoins »

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
WOW.   What a beautiful coin.  Preserved well with stunning details.  Outstanding attribution as well...

Ram
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Super. A museum quality coin with a superb explanation of the legend. It doesn't get much better. Congratulations and thanks.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Md. Shariful Islam

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
    • Coins of Medieval Bengal
Super. A museum quality coin with a superb explanation of the legend. It doesn't get much better. Congratulations and thanks.

Peter

Rightly said. Awsome.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Kshatrapa dynasty: Rudrasena III (SE 270-300; 348-378 AD), AR Drachm, SE292
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 06:14:04 PM »
I thought i would append this existing thread with another coin. At first sight this looks very different from the one shown above. However, it actually is from the same ruler. Also in de ancient period there were succesions of die cutters and changes in writing style over the years. According to the recent monograph by Alex Fishman on the Ksatrapa coins the previous is the most common Rudrasena III type II. What i show below is a later type IV coin, which is fairly rare.

Unfortunately the name of the ruler is in the upper right quadrant of the reverse, which shows little detail. Luckily the Ksatrapa rulers also name their fathers on their coins. Using the transcription above as guide it is fairly easy to read RuDraDaMa PuTraSa (son of Rudradaman) in the lower left quadrant.
The above coins showed a nice date at the back of the rulers head. In my coin at first that seems unreadable. Notice however that there is a small triangular symbol behind the head at the level of the lower margin of the earlobe. There is only one year during the reign of Rudrasena III with this symbol. That is the Saka year 300, or 378 AD. This is also the last year of his rule.

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 01:44:30 AM »
Full date visible!!  Normally you can only see the bottom of the dates, or none at all.  Can I has it please?
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 03:58:52 PM »
Don't think Overlord will realease his preciouzz voluntarily.

A fully visible date indeed is a nice bonus, but also will add at least 50 % to the price of the specialized ancient dealers. Best to look for these with the more general dealers, they usually can not keep the different rulers from the series apart and may not appreciate "off centre" strikes.
Note that dating of these coins only started in 178 AD. Coins before this time only have corrupt Greek characters behind the head.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
The translation in the original post has several errors. I will correct it when I have more time.
In the meantime, here is a Type III example (reverse die considerably smaller than the flan, resulting in the complete legend being visible) to go with the Type II specimen in the original post and Type IV posted by THCoins. The lettering, in general is very crude.

Obverse

Reverse

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Nice addition Overlord !
The lettering of this may be crude, but still this is better than some of the Rudrasena III types where the characters just look like featureless spagetthi. I think no one will mind the few errors in the previous transcription as for many, including me, this was a help in learning to read these ! But it does show you need some experience to read what the legend inscriber meant to write.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
What a treat this thread is. I am secretly hoping someone will find a type I to post.

I second TH's sentiments on the overlay, explaining the text. They are important to our members. See their index here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 07:11:33 AM »
Another type 2 with corrected legend:

And another with a slightly different legend position: