Chile KM 190 1960 5 Centesimos

Started by Derick, January 05, 2013, 09:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derick

Hi, would like to share this new addition to my modern collection. It is one of the rarest 20th century chilean coins with only one coin graded by NGC I believe. The 1960 specimens were not circulated and mintage not documented. I would like some more information regarding this coin if somebody can help. Thanx in advance.

Figleaf

That 1960 series is indeed curious. The government issued a new peso, worth 1000 old pesos in 1960. No old coins were issued in 1959, a sign that the change was planned well in advance. Yet, only the 1/2, 1 and 10 centimos (5, 10 and 100 old pesos) dated 1960 seems to have appeared in quantity. The 2 and 5 centimos (20 and 50 old pesos) were not released.

Moreover, this was not a production problem. The Santiago mint issued a reasonable amount of coins dated 1961, but again, no 2 centesimos. Maybe the problem was in the metal. The 1/2 and 1 were made of aluminium, the higher values were aluminium-bronze, making the 2 and 5 the lowest values in that metal. Officials may have feared that the cost of making 2 centesimos would rise above its denomination, due to ongoing inflation. In 1961, they may have been reassured that the 5 centimos could be made profitably. It took them to 1964 to reach that decision for the 2 centimos.

Strangely, the aluminium coins were discontinued in 1963, obviously because of high inflation, while the 2 and 5 were minted right up to the coin reforms of 1970 (there's even a common 1971 5 centimos).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Derick

Very good explanation thank you. Have you ever seen the 1975 10 Escudos?

Figleaf

I collect by type, so I don't pay much attention to dates, but I probably haven't seen it.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.