login

Author Topic: The 1970 One Rupee Coin : Circulation/Business Strike  (Read 8049 times)

Offline villa66

• Meritorious Member
Re: The 1970 One Rupee Coin : Circulation/Business Strike
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 12:24:23 AM »
Just a note for the sake of accuracy: American 5-cent pieces are actually struck from a (75%/25%) copper-nickel alloy. But you're definitely right about it taking a long time to learn how to strike nickel coins. The stuff is hard, hard--a fact that was brought home to me just the other day by a nickel that had been smashed on a railroad track. It was very thin and yet it was still impressively rigid. Even heavily alloyed nickel must be a nightmare for coining tools.

:) v.

Offline $$

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 05:03:29 AM »
Warm Welcome Sanjayji to WOC Family,

I hope there are many Sanjay on the board but there are two to whom i campare with mahabharata Sanjaj who was with Drishtrasht (He was Blind), he always use to keep update to Drishtraht about what is happennig around the war and other activities.

So we hope this two Sanjay (1) and (2) Sanjay Kansalji, will play the role for us in updating about the coin news as well Financial matters.

Samir
S
  S
     S

Offline cranko

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 03:37:05 PM »
Hi Samir,

Thanks for the "warm" welcome, and I do remember Sanjaya and Dhritarashtra from the Bhagvat Gita. Gita was one of the most beautiful works of literature I have ever read from cover to cover, and absorbed somewhat. But that was in 1995, I plan on reading it many more times sometime to remember what I have forgotten, and I can only strive to possess a fraction of Sanjaya's abilities. I can't see the into the future, and most of the times I can only see what is in front of me which is a task in itself.

Regards,

Sanjay

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:58:21 PM by cranko »

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »
Hi Samir,

Thanks for the war welcome, and I do remember Sanjaya and Dhritarashtra from the Bhagvat Gita. Gita was one of the most beautiful works of literature I have ever read from cover to cover, and absorbed somewhat. But that was in 1995, I plan on reading it many more times sometime to remember what I have forgotten, and I can only strive to possess a fraction of Sanjaya's abilities. I can't see the into the future, and most of the times I can only see what is in front of me which is a task in itself.

Regards,

Sanjay

Enjoy  & welcome to forum !

Cheers ;D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:30:40 PM by aan09 »
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline cranko

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »
Thanks for the welcome-

Offline @josephjk

• Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »
Here's a comparison of the two types with the diamond mint mark....prooflike and business strike...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:37:42 PM by @josephjk »

Offline cranko

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 04:21:58 PM »
Nice! The standard business strike is always a troublesome coin to get in a "full strike". Thanks for sharing the pics. Sincerely, Sanjay 

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 05:32:17 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline rajiv

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 07:41:49 PM »
Here's a comparison of the two types with the diamond mint mark....prooflike and business strike...
good evening , i have this coin but dont know which type of coin is this as diamond mark seems to be same in the above posted photo . kindly guide

Offline @josephjk

• Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 10:15:05 PM »
Rajiv,one of them has a highly polished prooflike finish. The other is more frosty and has lustre. From your images your coin looks like a business/circulation strike with lustre - Nice coin!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:26:16 PM by @josephjk »

Offline rajiv

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 06:29:59 PM »
Rajiv,one of them has a highly polished prooflike finish. The other is more frosty and has lustre. From your images your coin looks like a business/circulation strike with lustre - Nice coin!
thanks for the reply sir  , what would be the difference in the coin if it was proof like type , i mean the mint mark . is proof like strike is better coin to posses or this type is also at par with the same .

Offline @josephjk

• Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 08:53:46 PM »
The prooflike coin has mirror like surfaces and came in the strip set issued by the mint and the other was issued for circulation. They both have the diamond mint mark.
It's a matter of personal choice on which one is better - maybe get one of each?  ;)