Author Topic: New Zealand Mint to Produce More Pseudo Coins for Niue  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
New Zealand Mint to Produce More Pseudo Coins for Niue
« on: November 22, 2012, 03:07:22 PM »
Firm mints fresh Niuean coin deal

CATHERINE HARRIS

New Zealand Mint is due to sign a $5 million, five-year deal with the Premier of Niue tomorrow to extend its exclusive rights to use the Niuean effigy on its collectors' coins.

The deal means the Auckland-based business can use the Queen's head with "Niue" on the back of its coins, meaning they are legal tender in the tiny Pacific nation.

But because their face value may only be $2 or $10, the coins are worth much more as precious metal or to a collector, who pays around $200 for them.

"We don't produce their currency for general circulation," a NZ Mint spokesman said. "This is really about the collectors and the numismatic market."

The mint also deals in investment gold coins but a fifth of its revenue now stems from making and selling coins for the billion-dollar global coin collectors market.

Investment coins did not need an effigy, the spokesman said.

"Anything without an effigy is a medallion - the gold medals at the Olympics are medallions."

However, collectors did not collect medallions and coins were not coins without a government effigy, which was quite difficult to secure.

The deal was good for both parties, giving the mint continuity and a boost for the cash-strapped Niuean economy, which received a percentage of sales.

"It's quite a good relationship, really."

NZ Mint is coy about releasing its sales figures but said its coin business grew by $6m last year.

Almost all its collectable coins are exported and 60 per cent of its sales are to Russia.

As part of the deal, the company will annually sponsor two students from Niue on Outward bound scholarships.

Source
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:03:02 PM by <k> »
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline WillieBoyd2

• New
    • My website:
Re: New Zealand Mint to Produce More Pseudo Coins for Niue
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 06:20:04 PM »
"60 per cent of its sales are to Russia"

Very Interesting!

:)
BrianRxm Website
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes

translateltd

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 08:08:57 PM »
"60 per cent of its sales are to Russia"

Very Interesting!

:)

They produced a series featuring historic Russian cars a few years ago, specifically targeted at that market.  Not sure which territory sold the rights to its name for that one, probably the Cook Islands, which is known for the number of old Soviet vehicles on its roads.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 12:41:21 AM »
I wonder where they got the funny idea that this stuff has anything to do with numismatics. Or coins. Or Niue. Marketing over matter?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 01:49:39 AM »
They're essentially fund-raisers.  Micro-nations such as the Cook Islands, Niue and Tokelau sell the use of their name to the makers of Art Medals with Denominations of Convenience to bring some revenue in and reduce their dependence on direct aid by a small amount.

Not too dissimilar to the purpose behind the vast amount of "postage stamps" that never find their way onto envelopes that such places push out.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 04:57:31 PM »
Unfortunately, there's a market for these metal pieces and I know few specialized dealers in this field of pseudo coins..They have huge stock of pseudo coins from every possible country! :o

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline mrbrklyn

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 02:18:02 AM »
Unfortunately, there's a market for these metal pieces and I know few specialized dealers in this field of pseudo coins..They have huge stock of pseudo coins from every possible country! :o

Aditya

I happen to like some of them for various reasons.

I love this one
http://www.mrbrklyn.com/cave.html

and I like this one, but not enough to have sold it to a neighbor after shooting pictures of it.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com/niue_vangough.html

If Niue wants to put out commerative coins that are of some quality and interesting, let them.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 05:35:44 AM »
New Zealand Mint to create Magic: The Gathering coins

Legal tender in Nuie.

by James Cullinane on 13 January 2014, 1:19 pm

Wizards of the Coast has announced a new collaboration with the New Zealand Mint to release a series of Magic: The Gathering Collector Coins in precious metal.

The first such coin will be a one ounce, .999 silver piece, limited to 5000 pieces. The coin will be legal tender on the Pacific island of Nuie, where it will be valued at $2.

“Given the worldwide phenomenon that Magic has become, and with such a rich tapestry of fantastic art to work with, we believe there is a wonderful opportunity to offer Magic fans high quality, enduring collectibles in precious metals,” said Brent Hindman, Head of Sales and Marketing at New Zealand Mint.

The first Collector Coin will be available on March 1, 2014.

Source: Game Planet

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 05:36:33 AM »
Notice the spelling of Niue in the article. :P

Aditya

Offline Levantiner

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 11:56:18 AM »
It astounds me,when I actually think about it,  the world of numismatics is so far reaching and yet there are who actually regard such issues as collectible!!!!

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 11:58:32 AM »
It astounds me,when I actually think about it,  the world of numismatics is so far reaching and yet there are who actually regard such issues as collectible!!!!

EXACTLY! :o

Aditya