Author Topic: Georgian/early Victorian scale box and weights (apothecaries')  (Read 796 times)

translateltd

Georgian/early Victorian scale box and weights (apothecaries')
« on: November 19, 2012, 07:55:50 AM »
A bit of show-and-tell with some peripherally related items - a wooden box with shaped inserts for scales and metal flaps covering the weights.  The recessed part in the lid extends about another 3cm into the lid itself, presumably to hold tweezers or some such for picking out the weights.  The weights under the main flap are numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 16, 32 and 64 GN (grains?).

The whole thing is quite compact - the box is about 14 x 7 cm, the "1" weight only 5 mm square, the "32" is 14 mm square.  From the shape of the numbers, the 3 in particular, I'd guess it's mid-Georgian to early Victorian, say 1780s to 1840s.  If anyone can improve on the dating I'd be very happy to learn more :-)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: Georgian/early Victorian scale box and weights (apothecaries')
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »
Another that is commonly seen in Australia is one that is usually described as gold prospectors scales.

A cheaply made box this has a handwritten, in ink a date, and other words that I cannot make out, possibly 1851 or 1881.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.