Author Topic: An Egypt token?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline muenz-goofy

An Egypt token?
« on: July 30, 2008, 08:52:09 PM »
Hi freaks,

there is another unidentified token in my moderate collection. I did not find any reference about this specimen so far. The seller told me that it should be from Egypt, but I am not sure about this. The denomination is 10 M. On the reverse we can read "AJ" or "MJ" or whatever. Does anyone has an idea, where this token comes from? Egypt is a chance (that is the reason I am posting in this section) because "M" could mean "Milliemes". But there are other denominations beginning with an "M". "Mark" could be ruled out, because tokens of 10 Marks were unusual.

Perhaps one of you saw a token like this any time ago.

Thanks a lot
Yours Dietmar
God created the ocean, we the boat. God created the wind, we the sail. He created the lull, we the paddle (African proverb)

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
Re: An Egypt token?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:25:08 PM »
That is very, very likely to be a token of 10 Milliemes from Egypt. Likely Cairo or Alexandria - just maybe somewhere else in Egypt.

The letters will be J A  or  A J - the monograms I have seen on this sort of item always have each component letter in a similar size to the other(s).

The letters could be the initials of the person who owned the issuing establishment or otherwise the initials of the issuing establishment.

I did work out the letters on one of my Egyptian tokens recently - but the article that is for is currently still "under wraps".

Thanks Mr Paul Baker
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:03:27 PM by africancoins »