Author Topic: Questions regarding PVC in holders  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Rishabh Jain

Questions regarding PVC in holders
« on: October 26, 2012, 07:43:09 PM »
Hello,

I use 2X2 coin holders for storing my coins and need to know how to detect if the plastic has PVC. I have heard about the flame test but could not get anywhere how to do it and what results mean what. I would love to learn other ways of doing the same.

Some methods which I could use at times like when I am at a dealer are appreciated too.

Thank you.
I would like to buy the Bull Anna series.

I will also buy single coins of this series.

Please message me with your price and an image of the coin/coins.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Questions regarding PVC in holders
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 08:42:54 PM »
I heard of the flame test, but haven't practiced it. Presumably, you set the plastic on fire and observe the colour of the flame. Don't know which colours are right or wrong.

A priori, brand names are important, but branded cartons are never the cheapest. If you trust a dealer on coins, why not trust him also on cartons? I hear bad things about Chinese made holders - ask Bimat. A posteriori, if you find a grey haze on a coin, acetone or wipe it off and replace the holder. This requires that you keep track of which cartons came in which lot, but it allows you to buy cheaper.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 09:57:51 PM »
Flame test is by far the best and most accurate method to detect PVC but I guess you may also try "sniff test" to begin with so basically try to avoid plastics that have a strong "chemical" odour.

I had purchased some Indian currency holders and from the day one I was getting some sort of weird odour from the holders and later the seller realized his mistake and admitted that those holders had PVC but good quality PVC.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline Rishabh Jain

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »
Flame test is by far the best and most accurate method to detect PVC but I guess you may also try "sniff test" to begin with so basically try to avoid plastics that have a strong "chemical" odour.

I had purchased some Indian currency holders and from the day one I was getting some sort of weird odour from the holders and later the seller realized his mistake and admitted that those holders had PVC but good quality PVC.  ;D

Please tell me how to perform the flame test and which colour means what. What do you mean by good quality PVC? Is it okay for storage? I question might be stupid but I have no clue about it.
I would like to buy the Bull Anna series.

I will also buy single coins of this series.

Please message me with your price and an image of the coin/coins.

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 12:33:51 PM »
I dont find your question stupid at all but when I have such questions I mostly rely on google and WOC archives.

This question is already discussed on WOC earlier and then Abhay had posted a very informative link http://www.boedeker.com/burntest.htm to explain the burn test.

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=10091.0

You may also refer to the following link for more details:

http://www.calgarynumismaticsociety.org/caring.html

I also read somewhere (senior collectors please correct me if I am wrong) that many types of plastics dissolve in acetone so put some acetone in a glass bowl and dip the holder in it. If the holder melts it has PVC/ plastic in it. :)

As far as the color of the flame is concerned, blue flame indicates no PVC and a bright green flame confirms the presence of PVC.
Warm Regards,
Mackie

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »
Detail, but still - PVC, polyvinylchloride is plastic. What's attacking metal is plastic softener (plasticizers), such as phthalates.)

I can sometimes feel the difference between plastic with and without softener, but not consistently and it's hard to explain.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 06:30:44 PM »
I simply trust the dealers in coin fairs ... so far have been using them for only few years, so no issues, however on currency notes, i was using albums for more than 20 years, and can notice that the first albums that i purchased the plastic has gone bonkers in about 7 years ... luckily i found some other good quality note albums for the currency collection ...
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies