News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Sweden: unrealised designs shown in 2012

Started by <k>, October 26, 2012, 01:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

In April 2012 the Swedish Riksbank announced that a new series of coins would be issued in October 2016.

The bank also published a series of images (of very poor quality, unfortunately) showing other design proposals that had not been adopted.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Sweden From Linde.jpg

Design proposals by Peter Linde, entitled "King with regalia".

<k>

Sweden From Qvarsebo.jpg

Design proposals by Thomas Qvarsebo.

<k>

Sweden From Sagerlund.jpg

Design proposals by Vladimir A. Sagerlund.

<k>

Sweden From Winblad.jpg

Design proposals by Annie Winblad Jakubowski, entitled "The essence of a coin".

<k>

I like Peter Linde's portrait of the king best of all. As for the reverses, Thomas Qvarsebo's show the most variety, though I am not keen on the Xmas trees, nor the crescent, which belongs to a different culture.

I would have looked more favourably on Peter Linde's reverse designs if he hadn't used the same crown design for three of the coins. Vladimir Sagerlund's designs are rather staid. Credit to Annie Winblad Jakubowski for her attempt at something spikily different.

FosseWay

None of them grab me hugely, tbh. I think Thomas Qvarsebo missed a trick by not continuing for the 2 and 5 kronor what he started with the 1 krona -- why start with a nature theme and then go back to the same old heraldry/royal portraits? He could have gone for mountains and a fjällräv (literally 'mountain fox' in English but I don't know what the official word is) on the 2 kr and a river, or the sea, with some kind of fish, seal or dolphin on the 5 kr, for example.

As to the crescent -- it's the moon, to denote night time (the time when wolves howl like the one on the other side), and nothing to do with Islam. Light of all kinds, whether sun, moon, stars, northern lights or man-made, is important to Swedish culture.

Mackie

Very plain looking coins. I am sure the coin designer could have done a far better job. The coin looks very blank and lacks details.
Warm Regards,
Mackie

chrisild

At the bottom of this post you see the designs that will actually be minted. In that topic I also wrote that I really like the "many digits" in Annie Winblad Jakubowski's designs. But if the requirements say that the king has to be depicted, so be it. :)

Christian