News:

Register to attend our live meetings.

Main Menu

Ghiyath Al-Din Tughluq Gold Tanka

Started by Rangnath, July 18, 2008, 05:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

I assume that I'm correct on the designation.  I probably shouldn't be. But the main problem is that the flan was too small for the die on the reverse, or too well centered or both. The Mint and Date are in the reverse margin and I can not see enough of it.  Can Oesho?

I believe the Dehli Sultan Ghiyath Al-Din Tughluq, AH 720 to 725, AD 1320 - 1325, minted this coin. But where? and When? 
Ghiyath had four mints for gold coins:  D 300    Dar al-Islam,   D 301     Hadrat Dehli,
D 302      Qila 'Deogir and    D 303      Mulk-i-Tilang. All were in operation between AH 721 and 725.  I guess we can rule out Mulk-i-Tilang as it had a slightly different legend than the other three. I think the one in this coin proclaims Ghiyath as the "slayer of infidels".  In the gold tanka from Mulk-i-Tilang, he is proclaimed "one who trusts in Allah".  Speaking as one who might possibly be considered an infidel, I prefer my Sultan to be "one who trusts in Allah."

Is the discoloration a problem for a collector?  Does it represent cleaning by heat or by chemical bath?  Might it give pause in assuming authenticity?
richie

Oesho

Dear Richie,
Your are perfectly correct on the designation of this gold Tanka. The mint-name is shown on the right-hand/bottom side (from 9 to 6 o'clock). On your coin no marginal legend is visible at that part and therefore it can't be attributed to a certain mint. Also the right-hand side with the date is too truncated to make out the date.
The attraction to a collector of such a coins, is difficult to motivate. The motifs for collecting may vary from each individual to another very much. Some may like to have a coin of each ruler, others want a mint fresh example. For them it doesn't matter whether some of the information is missing. 
Those who collect them also for the historical information, may want most information to be on it. Therefore coins with a clear mint and date are much more in demand and the better the condition the more the attraction becomes.
Gold can't be effected by any acid, but can be solved in mercury ( don't try it, too poisonous). The discolouring may have been effected by heat and some alien material is burned into it. Perhaps others are more knowledgeable regarding this subject than I do, but I have come across several silver coins which may have been slightly effected by fire, which effect can't be removed either.

Rangnath

That was great news Oesho.  My learning curve is not steep, but I am pleased to see that I am learning. 
As for the reasons why people collect certain coins, most of those apply to me.  I enjoy having as much information as is possible on the flan. I adore history and the study of culture and religion. When the die is very large, I appreciate having the date. Knowing the mint is a bonus for me.  When mint marks and reign symbols are in evidence, I find those very desirable.  One reason is because I have so much trouble deciphering Arabic and Persian, but the second reason is that I have long been attracted to symbols and signs for their shape, elegance, uniqueness and as carriers of a culture's metaphores.

richie