Two Rupees of Jhalawar: C28 and Y6.1

Started by Rangnath, July 17, 2008, 02:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

Jhalawar State lasted less than 60 years. In 1837, Jhalawar was carved out of Kotah State, which itself had been carved out of Bundi.  Most of Jhalawar merged back into Kotah in 1896. Rupee C28, the first coin posted, belongs to the old "Madan" Shahi series and carries the inscription "Bahadur Shah II." "Madan" must refer to Madan Singh, the man who did the carving from Kotah.  What does "Shahi" mean?  I've seen it before.  The coin weighs 11.2 grams. 
The second coin is a Y 6.1 and belongs to the new "Madan" Shahi series. It has an inscription of "Victoria Badsah Inglistan".  The date on this coins is problematic for me.  If I turn it upside down, I can read it as a "2".  But if I try to read it right side up, I'm afraid I can not.   
Richie

Oesho

Jhalawar is another interesting Princely State. Madan Singh, the first Maharaj Rana of Jhalawar, was installed on the 11th July, 1837. A mint was established at Jhalra Patan, the state capital, in AD 1801 by Zalim Singh, the minister of Kotah State. There was another mint operating in Shahabad, which most probably continued minting after the establishment of the Jhalawar State. If so they probably bear the same mint-name Jhalawar. Research on this subject is still in progress.
The first coin struck by Zalim Singh with the mintname Jhalawar is a rupee in the name of Muhammad Akbar II , Ry. 37 (1837). After the death of Muh. Akbar II, he continued striking coins in the name of Muhammad Bahadur II. This type of coin continued under his successor Prithvi Singh (AD1845-1875/AH1261-1292).
Your rupee with the Jalus or Ry.15 (30.04.1851 – 18.04.1852) fits into his reign. Ref.: C#28.

In 1858, on the assumption by the Crown of the Government of India, a change was made in the obverse inscription to Malikah mu'azzamah Victoria Badshah Inglistan. The engraving of the Persian script is extremely crude. On the pieces of a full flan (nazarana coins) some figures purporting to read 1915 may be found. This is the Samvat date equivalent to AD 1858. The regnal years, found on the reverse of these coins, are the years of the British Raj, commencing on the 1st November, 1858. The assumption of the Government of India by the Sovereign of Great Britain was announced by Lord Canning at a Darbar held at Allahabad on the 1st November 1858 in the name of Queen Victoria. The Queen's Proclamation confirmed the treaties and engagements of the East India Company with the Indian Princes; promised to respect the rights, dignity and honour of the native Princes and to pay due regard to the ancient rights, usages and customs of India.
The regnal year on your coin is 4 (1862/63) (ref.: Y#6.1)
"Madan Shahi" refers to a coin a coin of a king (=Shah) Madan. The coins issued by him and his successors were subsequently called after him, like Madan Shahi (of the king Madan).
The addition of Shahi (of the king) is found very often in Indian records: Akbar Shahi, Bijayishahi, etc. Mostly referring to the first who introduced a certain type of coin. The name continued under his successors and when the design was slightly changed, but otherwise the fineness, etc. remained the same, the term 'New' was added. In the case of Jhalawar "New Madanshahi".

Rangnath

This is great; another mystery understood.  Thank you so much. 
richie

Figleaf

Another great reply. This board is fantastic fun. I wish I could contribute more, but I am also happy remaining on the passive side.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

Gosh, I feel the same way Peter.  I go through the trouble of including historical background of the coin that I copy from the web or from the standard catalog for two reasons: 1. It helps me understand it better and 2. I feel it might be useful for the occasional reader.  I certainly don't want to give the false impression that I actually know any of this stuff.  3. Maybe what I write might be of interest to you, Overlord, Shariq and others who love this area of study.  5. My questions come from a helpless sense of curiosity. And, 4. most importantly, if I make errors because of my sources, or if I make questions that honor the site and the study of Indian Coinage and History and if Oesho is available.. WOW! I get rewarded by incredible answers!
richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,
  Those are very nice Jhalawari silver 1 Rupee coins that you've got there.

Aidan.