News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Coca-cola

Started by malj1, October 05, 2012, 01:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

TCCEC = The Coca-Cola Export Corporation, reverse blank with raised rim, Brass, 22mm. 4.3g.

In 1919, a group of investors headed by Ernest Woodruff and W. C. Bradley purchased The Coca-Cola Company for $25 million.... ....In 1926, Mr. Woodruff committed the Company to organized international expansion by establishing the Foreign Department, which in 1930 became a subsidiary known as The Coca-Cola Export Corporation....

Source
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

But how was it used? I cannot magine a coffee machine anywhere in Coca Cola HQ...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

That is indeed the $64,000 question!

I have another Coca-Cola token which I cannot locate, from memory I would say its of the same size. Several other varieties are listed on Ebay yet not one of the sellers quote sizes.
Malcolm

malj1

Another, this time German I believe. Trink Coca-Cola ℞. Automaten-munze

Brass, 19mm.
Malcolm

Figleaf

That one is easier. As it doesn't provide a company name, it is probably a generic token used to operate soft drink vending machines. German is also spoken in Austria and parts of Switzerland, Luxembourg, Belgium, Italy and France.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

At a place where I worked in the 1950's we had a coin operated Coca-Cola machine containing many of the small size bottles of Coca-Cola, I don't remember the price now but would imagine it could have been one shilling coin operated.

Here is another piece from the Philippines this time more of an advertising key ring attachment than a token.

30th anniversary in the Philippines; copper 25.3mm.
Malcolm

Figleaf

Coca-Cola had and has a hefty presence in the Phillipines, as they bought ghastly amounts of cane sugar from the country. At some point, the cane sugar in the Coca-Cola recipe was replaced by corn syrup and artificial sweetener (aspartame) for the diet version.

The move was economically and politically disastrous for the Philippines. Land was laid fallow, but there were no land reforms, so agricultural unemployment shot up. Landholder-organised militias abused and even killed unemployed squatters. The squatters organised in jungle rebel bands calling itself communist, maoist etc., dominated by the New People's Army (NPA), a shoot-off of the official communist party. The insurgency was bloodily suppressed under Ferdinand Marcos and became a major security issue after him, but no land reforms followed. Most insurgents seem to have been peacefully re-integrated since, but minor incidents continue.

Coca-Cola went back to cane sugar in the Philippines as a sop to local producers and possibly to distract from (child) labour issues. Similar moves followed in other countries, starting an amusing fad in the US that prefers Mexican Coca-Cola (made with cane sugar) to US made Coca-Cola (made with corn syrup).

Peter

malj1

Thanks for that I had no knowledge of this.
Malcolm

constanius

Brought back memories of the 1985 "New Coke" experiment. 

Personally I have not had any carbonated drinks since I was a lad, back then my favourite was a cherryade or coke float made with vanilla ice cream.

Pat

Pat

Afrasi

This one is in Portuguese language and is usually given to Mozambique, but sometimes also to Brazil.

Abhay

And now a coin in the shape of Bottle cap of Coca-Cola issued by Fiji.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Figleaf

::) Just when I though the fluff coin pushers couldn't sink any deeper.

Peter

malj1

Not my cup of tea!  ::) ...but I see its .999 pure silver so we won't see too many lying around the footpaths.

Presumably its NCLT ???
Malcolm

Henk

The T.C.C.E.C. token at the start of this thread is listed in the Catalog of  Dutch tokens by A.J.Kooy as number KB430. He lists two varieties  number 1a with round dots and 1b with square dots. Also two other, 18 mm, tokens are listed. These have a value and state: CANTINE (Canteen). The one with value 5 is brass (number 2) and the one with 10 is copper-nickel (number 3). I enclose a photo of the catalog below.

The word "Cantine" is a Dutch word (although also French) and the tokens look like having been made at the Rijks Munt, the Dutch Mint in Utrecht. 

malj1

Thank you, it confirms Netherlands.

My piece in first item has round dots, I located another on eBay with the square dots and also a #3 with 10 central; both have blank reverse.
Malcolm