Baroda Paisa: Km 31.2a And the Value of this coin?

Started by Rangnath, July 12, 2008, 04:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

A citizen of the USA is offering this coin on ebay for $59.99 or best offer. 
From its picture, posted here, this coin is in wonderful condition. Without a better image, I can not say if the coin is Unc or Au or even XF.  However, I have no problem with his designation of VF++++++ to XF. 
The date is 1949vs, right?  That translates to 1893 AD.  In my standard catalog, this coin appears to be Km 31.2a.  Could I be wrong about this?   The legend says one Paisa, not one pai and the other details seem to fit Km 31.2a.  However, I do not know the weight or size of this coin.
In my 5th edition catalog, the price for a Unc. coin of this type is $1.50.  Am I missing something?
I wrote him an email informing him of my search.  He responded with "I PURCHASED THIS COIN FROM A WORLD CLASS DEALER IN LONDON, ENGLAND MANY YEARS AGO AND THIS IS WHAT WAS DETERMINED BY EXPERTS---I AM NOT THE EXPERT."
What do you think? 
richie

Overlord

To the best of my knowledge, this coin is not worth $60 (about INR 2350) (unless that particular year makes it very rare). Over here, these are generally worth around INR 10 to 200, depending on condition and whom you buy them from.

Here is an example from eBay for comparison (different year though).

Oesho

Dear Richie,
You're not missing anything and the attribution is correct. The price, however, is wrong and too exaggerated. Just 3-5 $ would do.
The prices in the KM and Yeoman are for the international market to low, due to the recent fall of dollar.

Figleaf

In addition, this coin is VF only if you're having a generous day. Practically all of the design is without fine detail, so the best way to judge the grade is by the leaves on the reverse. As you can see, they only occasionally show some detail, but they are in general looking worn. This could also be due to a weak strike, but that would have a similar influence on price. I agree with previous speakers that this coin should not bring more than a fraction of the price asked. I cannot imagine that any expert would make such a mistake.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

Gentlemen, thank you very much for your input. 
Perhaps his "world class dealer in London" is the same kind of person that would sell a Horse and Bull coin as an ancient Frog Eyes coin of India.
richie

Overlord

Quote from: Rangnath on July 12, 2008, 08:38:28 PM
Perhaps his "world class dealer in London" is the same kind of person that would sell a Horse and Bull coin as an ancient Frog Eyes coin of India.
richie

Beware, the coin fairy will punish all who make fun of my rare and ancient coin 

@josephjk

Posting a picture of a couple of KM# 32.1a coins  for future reference.... mild difference in date numeral... weight 6.7 - 6.8 gm