Author Topic: Elichpur coppers i.n.o Mughal rulers  (Read 3567 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Elichpur coppers i.n.o Mughal rulers
« on: October 03, 2012, 10:01:05 PM »
Their weight doesn't fit for Dams although they look like typical Mughal coins, I have 12 of these in various shapes & sizes , most are between 17 & 19g & one 20.45g
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 09:49:38 PM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Copper coins that look Mughal but.........
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 02:23:41 AM »
Copper coins that look Mughal but.........aren't ? 

I woud'nt say that...........They all look to me coins issued in the name of the Mughal Emperor Muhammad Shah, minted at Elichpur. Now here is a twist. Elichpur became independent under the Nizam some where early during the reign of Muhammad Shah so (if I remember correctly) coins after RY 5 or 6 are Nizam / IPS issues (if you want to be very technical).

Amit

PS: I may be a bit off on the attribution but I hope not and as I said......the dates. They are there in some discussion between me and Salvete somewhere on WoC.
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:18:25 AM »
Difficult to say, I agree...Aurangzeb or Muhammad Shah is not clear?
It seems (to me..) that round coins often belong to Muhammad Shah.
and that here, the first squarish coin (left) shows parts of "alamgir" = Aurangzeb, and the 2nd : "...Shah bad Shah" (= Muhammad Shah) and below parts of: "sikkah mubarak"
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 11:08:20 AM »
It's the weight that confuses me,Paisas during Aurangzeb & Muhammad Shah weigh 12-14g although Dams reappear during Muhammad Shah at 17-19g
 the average weight of the coins is around 18g which would fit for Elichpur. Also for Alamgir II
Of the 4 coins shown, look on the right image, bottom left coin has what appears to be 78 which doesn't make sense if it's part of a date

I think I need to post all 12 coins,particularly the 6 rectangular/square ones as there might be something worthwhile amongst them
Vic

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 11:46:50 AM »
These coins are found in huge numbers......even more than Akbar Narnol Dams.....I have always wondered.....why these......and no other? Copper coins of almost all Mughal rulers except Akbar are difficult to find.......but these are not so ...........Badly struck / crude........say what you like, it is always a problem trying to attribute them......I have a fair number and when I sent Overlord a few images.......I received his cryptic reply.....welcome to the club..........

One knowingly make a fool of himself when you pick up these almost impossible to attribute pieces but you still do it........ . I see the piece. I know it is worthless and yet, almost as if attracted to them by some imaginative magnetic force, I buy them.......only to repent at leisure......

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 03:31:57 PM »
Elichpur is seemingly the commonest mint although others appear to be scarce or rare, I can see parts of dates or Ry as on the coin here with 17

Am I to ticket these as Princely states coins ?
Vic