News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Uganda New Issue: 50 Years of Independence

Started by Bimat, September 28, 2012, 03:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Bank of Uganda issues commemorative coin

Publish Date: Sep 28, 2012

By Samuel Sanya

The Central Bank is set to issue a Sh1,000 coin to commemorate Uganda's 50 years of independence as the main event draws closer.

"Bank of Uganda is proud of its contribution to Uganda's economic success through its prudent Monetary Policy management over the years," Governor Mutebile said in a signed statement.

"The Central Bank will continue a tradition of issuing commemorative currencies this year with the issue of a special coin to celebrate 50 years of Uganda's independence from Great Britain," he added.

The Central Bank has issued commemorative currency for the 1968 World Food Day, the 1969 visit of His Holiness, Pope Paul VI, to Uganda, the 1981 International Year of Disabled Persons.

In 1986 and 2006 to mark Bank of Uganda's 20 and 40 years of service respectively and the more recent 2007 Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) hosted in Uganda.

Source: New Vision
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Found more information about the new issue in Press Release.

The coin will be available in two types: A non circulating collector coin and a circulating commemorative (issue date: October 9, 2012).

Seems that it is a bimetallic coin.. ("golden colored center and silver colored ring" according to press release)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Rishabh Jain

Can it be ordered online from India? If yes, I need the link.
I would like to buy the Bull Anna series.

I will also buy single coins of this series.

Please message me with your price and an image of the coin/coins.

Bimat

Quote from: rj27797 on September 28, 2012, 06:17:06 PM
Can it be ordered online from India? If yes, I need the link.

No...You will have to contact a dealer who deals in African coins.

Aditya

Bimat

Central Bank now has images of new coin. And it looks neat. :)

It would be interesting to see how the actual coin will look like.

Reverse:

Obverse:

Egde:

Aditya

Bimat

Uganda: Golden Jubilee Coin Launched

BY SAMUEL SANYA, 28 SEPTEMBER 2012

With Crested Crane wadding in water at one end to depict Uganda's rich heritage and a court of arms at the other to depict this great nation's unique identity, the Jubilee coin is a spectacle to behold.

The granite-grey and golden sh1, 000 Jubilee coin has officially been launched and it will become legal upon its circulation on the 9th of October.

The exact date Uganda got her independence from Great Britain 50 years ago.

"We thought of a way to commemorate Uganda's Independence Jubilee and there was no better way than to print this magnificent coin that all citizens of this country and the rest of the world can relate to," said deputy central bank Governor Loius Kasekende.

He made the remarks at the Bank of Uganda (BOU) headquarters at the launch of the Jubilee coin.

Henry Kajura, the 2nd deputy prime minister and former Governor (BOU) said the Jubilee coin is "wonderful", an "excellent momento" while launching the coin.

"I will place this coin is the most vital place of my living room so that everyone that visits me can see it," he said.

Governor Emmanuel Mutebile said that the Jubilee coin will circulate alongside the sh1, 000 note and will effectively be legal tender.

"A non-circulation, momento version of the coin will be made, so that citizens and foreign nationals and purchase and keep the jubilee coin as a collector's item," he said.

Kajura recounted the days when he served as Governor, urging for the return to a single East African currency and the East African Currency Board that existed before 1966 when the Bank of Uganda was established.

"I still hope that someday all five East African Countries will have a single currency. I don't know when, but I'm sure it will come," he said.

He then urged the Central Bank to prepare for the Oil economy adding that the way in which oil cash will be handled will determine the fate of this country.

The 1st Jubilee coin was offered to His Excellency President Yoweri Museveni, with subsequent coins going to Henry Kajura, former finance minister Ezra Suruma, former Central Bank governor Leo Kibirango, former Governor Alengot and finance minister Maria Kiwanuka.

The British Envoy, all five East African envoys, the Dean of the Diplomatic corp in Uganda received Jubilee coins.

The Jubilee coin was minted by the South African mint company and they received one coin in appreciation of the excellent work done.

Source: All Africa

Bimat

This is how the actual coin looks like. :)

Source: New Vision

Aditya

paisepagal

malawi

this coin is minted for circulation or only for collectors ???

Bimat

For circulation as well as for collectors. :) The circulation version will be available from October 9...

Aditya

malawi

$$

Hi,

New bimetallic circulating type:

"50th Anniversary of Uganda Independence"

S
  S
     S

paisepagal