Author Topic: An unusual dilemma with a damaged coin - korea 1 yang coin  (Read 4110 times)

Offline gxseries

An unusual dilemma with a damaged coin - korea 1 yang coin
« on: September 14, 2012, 05:42:47 PM »
I've been hunting for this Korean 1898 1 yang variety coin for years. In most catalog, they would describe it as narrow and wide variety in the character "yang".

These are the examples:

Wide variety:

Narrow variety:

The unfortunate story is, this coin has edge damage because it was an ex-jewellery. When I bought it from the seller, he was not aware of this damage. I don't have a problem with scratched or cleaned coins as long as the price is right. But edge damage? I'm not sure.

I've just bought another coin to replace the damaged coin. I was almost about to send it off to the seller but decided to hold fire just in case it's worse.

It's definitely beautiful with the exception of a scratch.

However to my dismay - I never knew that there was a variety with this narrow variety type. If you look carefully at the character "2", the font size is definitely different.

Honestly I'm at a loss of words. While I could have paid a bit too much for these coins compared to catalog price, on the other hand, if you look at what's available in the market, they aren't that common.

What would you do???

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: An unusual dilemma with a damaged coin - korea 1 yang coin
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 06:38:35 PM »
If you collect minor varieties as many collectors do then it's an opportunity not to be missed to have them both as you might not get the chance again

Vic
Vic

Offline aarkay

• Errors....Errors.....and Errors
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 07:11:23 PM »
Hi…

Not pretending to be an expert  ::), my dictum in any collection (my first interest is philately) is if anything is really scarce then it is better to buy what is available (even in philately) though it may not be of super fine quality but reasonably good and hunt for a better quality to replace it…as they say a bird in hand is better than two in the bush ;D

Aarkay
Why worry about dead yesterdays and unborn tomorrows….live in the present…a present for you today…

Offline weepio

• The last Emperor
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 10:46:44 PM »
Since you have payed for them both, I suggest you would keep them until you find a decent replacement.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 11:22:04 PM »
I would keep them, but I'm not you. I don't care about edge damage or knocks or scratches as long as all details are clear.

BTW, I don't see a difference in the character yang. I do see that the wreath is further from the pearl border on the second coin. Since the character seems to be at the same distance from the wreath, it should be smaller, but I don't see it. Have you measured it?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 11:49:55 PM »
Don't know about a Yang character....but the letters in the word "Yang" are obviously spaced apart differently.

Dale

I would keep them, but I'm not you. I don't care about edge damage or knocks or scratches as long as all details are clear.

BTW, I don't see a difference in the character yang. I do see that the wreath is further from the pearl border on the second coin. Since the character seems to be at the same distance from the wreath, it should be smaller, but I don't see it. Have you measured it?

Peter

translateltd

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 01:55:54 AM »
Don't know about a Yang character....but the letters in the word "Yang" are obviously spaced apart differently.

It took me a while before I looked on the other side, too!

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 02:15:24 AM »
And the dots are a different size too.
Dale

It took me a while before I looked on the other side, too!

Offline gxseries

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 06:37:53 AM »
Hi all, thanks for your advice. I didn't really go all in details but the major variety is the difference of the english character yang. On the narrow variety, it is "YANG", however on the wide variety, it is more like "Y A NG".

What I am trying to point out the difference is the character "2" (二) which is written in Chinese character. I'm certain you can tell one is wider than the other.

translateltd

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 10:29:32 AM »

What I am trying to point out the difference is the character "2" (二) which is written in Chinese character. I'm certain you can tell one is wider than the other.

Very clear when you point it out, yes.  An interesting mini-series of varieties!

Just as a little linguistic side-excursion, I notice that the denomination written phonetically in Korean reads "ryang", though I think the lead r- is silent - one of those vagaries of historical spelling.  It does make the link a little closer with the Japanese and Chinese readings of the same character, though (ryô and liang, respectively, both of which served as denominations in the respective countries at different times).

Offline gxseries

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 06:54:11 AM »
It's quite bizarre to be honest. 1898 for Korean coinage is known for a lot of varieties.

1/4 yang - there are at least two varieties. One is reported to be Japanese counterfeit which is then approved for circulation (would like to see where this was sourced from)
5 fun - three varieties of small, medium, large size fonts - I have two of these.

1 yang - wide and narrow space variety. Now this adds another one to its class completely.