Mysore: Anonymous Kasu, Wodeyar Dynasty, Mitchiner Karnataka Andhra # 975-978

Started by Overlord, June 22, 2008, 12:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overlord

Obverse Elephant advancing right, sun and crescent above

Reverse lines and annulets pattern

Rangnath

I love the name and clearly Tippu deserves the fame.
Captain Nemo is a nephew of Tippu Sultan?  Wow.
richie

Overlord

My previous attribution was not correct.  This is not a coin of Tippu Sultan. :-[

Similar examples can be found here

Figleaf

The link dosn't lead to the similar coins, Overlord. Can you be more specific, please?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Overlord

Figleaf

Thanks. That helps. Would you say that this is a Mysore coin in the name of, Devaloy Devaraja (1731-61), regent for Immadi Krishna Raja Wodeyar II (1734-66) then?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Overlord

Quote from: Figleaf on July 27, 2008, 04:48:05 PM
Thanks. That helps. Would you say that this is a Mysore coin in the name of, Devaloy Devaraja (1731-61), regent for Immadi Krishna Raja Wodeyar II (1734-66) then?

Peter
I just found the second URL. Will have to check a few more sources before I can be certain that these were issued exclusively by a specific ruler. (The first website lists these as anonymous issues.)

Overlord

Edgar Thurston's catalog also lists these as anonymous issues.

Source:
Edgar Thurston's coin catalogue for Mysore at http://www.archive.org/details/coinsindiamad00goveuoft

Figleaf

To me, it looks dangerous to rely on an over 100 years old catalogue. Also, printed stuff is not necessarily better than what you found on the net, though it's important to know your net source. There must have been some later research and maybe that's what the dealer used. It's too precise to have been made up.

Peter

Overlord

I agree, Peter. I will have to check a few more sources before I can be certain.

Rangnath

I suspect that find an exact attribution will not happen.  There are several examples of your coin in the on line Fitzwilliam Museum: Quick Search on Mysore.  I copied the following information from one such coin:
Maker/s
Anonymous (ruler)
No mint (mint) 
Category  coin
Name  1 Cash (denomination)
Indian (Series)
Princely States (subseries)
Mysore (subsubseries) 
Material/s  copper
Dimensions  image(height): 13 mm
image(width): 13 mm
weight: 2.74 g
Description
(pre-1760 period)
Production Notes
unattributed
Catalogue ref/s  966
PS-0975
Accession Number
CM.IN.1508-R (Coins and Medals)
(Reference Number: 100814; Input Date: 2004-08-05 / Last Edit: 2008-07-17)

I don't know if this link will work, but it is where I got the information

richie

If you load 100 images per page, coins like yours are on the second and third page.

ancientcoinsofindia

Dear All,

This variety is listed by K.Ganesh in his latest Book Karnataka Coins, PP 285, Type 14.42, anonymous uninscribed copper coins from mysore and surroundings. "tentatively attributed to the wodeyars as the inscribed coins of these kings before KrishnarajaIII are not known from mysore region" (PP 282).

Mitchiner Karnataka Andhra # 975-978.

Amol

Overlord

RG

Another variety with Garuda in Anjalihastha mudra on one side and some letters/ characters within the criss cross set of lines. Maybe they indicate ruler?? Tiny coin..

Figleaf

I don't see the pattern of crossed lines and circles on your coin, but rather a double-lined cross in a square with European letters O, W and V in the corners. That reminds me of old Portuguese coins. I am not arguing that the coin is European, but that there is a European influence on them. I remember the complaint of a Portuguese or Spanish priest who was stationed in South India that the colonial coins had "heathen" symbols on them.

Peter