Muhammad Bin Sam (Muhammad Ghori) (AD 1162-1206): Bull & horseman-type Jital

Started by Overlord, June 22, 2008, 12:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overlord

Rangnath

Overlord

My coin doesn't have a "Sri" above the horseman (on the left), but a "Sa". Which variety would this be?

Rangnath

I sure would like to know!  I find the horse and bull series to be both frustrating, to identify, and delightful, to look upon. 
richie

Overlord

Though the historical account of Muhammad Bin Sam's death is quite different, following is a more "popular" version of the tale, at least in India:

[Following Prithvi Raj's defeat, capture, and blinding at the hands of Muhammad Ghori]
Chanderam told Mahmud (Ghori) that this taunting would avail nothing, for Prithvi Raj would never do as some sundry courtiers bade him do. He said that Prithvi Raj, as an anointed king, would not accept orders from anyone other than another king. His ego thus massaged, and in the spirit of the occasion, Mahmud agreed to personally give Prithvi Raj the order to shoot. Some iron plates were hung and Prithivi Raj was asked to aim at them. A man was to strike the plate with a hammer and Prithvi Raj was supposed to hit that plate.

Thus, Chanderam provided Prithvi Raj with an aural indication of where Mahmud was seated. He gave Prithvi Raj one further indication of the same, by composing a couplet on the spot and reciting the same in Prithvi Raj's hearing. The couplet, composed in a language understood only by Prithvi Raj went thus:

"Char bans, chaubis gaj, angul ashta praman, aete par sultan hai, mat chuko Chauhan."

(Four measures ahead of you and twenty four yards away as measured with eight finger measurement, is seated the Sultan. Do not miss him now, Chauhan).

Mahmud then ordered Prithvi Raj to shoot. Prithvi Raj thus came to know the location of Mahmud and started shooting at the plates. When he hit the target courtiers said "vah" "vah" and Mahmud said "Shabash", recognising Mahmud's voice and turning in the direction from where he heard Mahmud speak, Prithvi Raj took aim based only on the voice and on Chanderam's couplet, he sent an arrow racing to Mahmud's throat. Mahmud was thus struck dead by Prithvi Raj. Prithvi Raj and Chanderam did not want to die from the hands of Mahmud's courtiers so they stabbed each other.
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prithvi_Raj_Chauhan)

mtayal

Overlord, This is the version of death of Ghori that is included in history books in Indian Schools.

Overlord

Quote from: mtayal on November 29, 2008, 04:38:32 PM
Overlord, This is the version of death of Ghori that is included in history books in Indian Schools.
You may be suprised to know that there is numismatic evidence that indicates that the two (Prithvi Raj and Ghori) may have, for a short period of time, ruled together. These Jitals have Muhammad Bin Sam's name on the Bull side and Prithvi Raja on the horseman side.

mtayal

This is very interesting. Can you please upload a a picture of such Jital if you have one?

Rangnath

Than is one amazing story! 
I'm curious.  Is the story taught as a "Story" or as a "fact"?
richie

mtayal

I was taught this story as a fact. Infact this is one of the most popular story.

Overlord

Quote from: mtayal on November 29, 2008, 05:57:21 PM
This is very interesting. Can you please upload a a picture of such Jital if you have one?
Sorry, I don't have one and couldn't find an image on on the net either. (The funny thing is that I remember seeing at least a couple of examples at Zeno a few weeks back. Just can't find them now!) I suspect this variety is hard to find, though Dr. Rajgor's catalogue I have lists a fairly low price (INR 20-50). But then I have a 2008 Reprint (not a Revised edition) of the above-mentioned catalog and I strongly suspect that the prices have not been revised since the original 1991 edition.

Overlord

mtayal

I dont remember the class. But will check with my daughter. She remembers the quote.

Oesho

Quote from: Overlord on November 29, 2008, 04:59:51 PM
You may be suprised to know that there is numismatic evidence that indicates that the two (Prithvi Raj and Ghori) may have, for a short period of time, ruled together. These Jitals have Muhammad Bin Sam's name on the Bull side and Prithvi Raja on the horseman side.
This coin is no prove that Prithvi Raj Chauhan and Muhammad bin Sam ruled together. The coin is regarded as a mule. A mistake they made in the mint by using an old die from the time of Prithvi Raj. Those coins are scarce and I have no example with me for illustration. The coin is well published, see Goron/Goenka D9; Rajgor #717; Deyell #259; Tye #186.

Tye #52 Billon Jital of the Chauhan king Prithvi Raja Deva III (c.
1191-1192).
Obv. Bull to left, in front and above in miedeaval nagari script Asavari /
Sri Samanta Deva
Rev.: Shri Pri-thvi Raja Deva.
The mule that is refered to above, is a combination of the obv. of the coin
shown above of Muhammad bin Sam and the reverse of the coin of Prithvi Raja.