login

Author Topic: Indo-Dutch Km 8: "OC" Fanam, Cochin, 18th century  (Read 4877 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Overlord's stamp and coin collection
Indo-Dutch Km 8: "OC" Fanam, Cochin, 18th century
« on: June 22, 2008, 12:42:33 PM »
Obverse: Horizontal J, and OC (Oostindische Compagnies)

Reverse: Female deity (probably Kali)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:01:30 AM by Rangnath »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Indo-Dutch "OC" Fanam
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:45:37 AM »
Cochin KM 8, Scholten 1250. Struck within the period 1663-1795.

obv: Kali with sankha (shell) hanging from the neck (rotate lower pic 90 clockwise)
rev: Kris (ceremonial knife) below O C (Oostindische Compagnie - East India Company) above three rows of four dots.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
Re: Indo-Dutch "OC" Fanam
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 06:51:17 PM »
Cochin KM 8, Scholten 1250. Struck within the period 1663-1795.

obv: Kali with sankha (shell) hanging from the neck (rotate lower pic 90 clockwise)
rev: Kris (ceremonial knife) below O C (Oostindische Compagnie - East India Company) above three rows of four dots.

Peter
Thanks Peter. I could not find much on this one on the web, except what I had posted.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
Re: Indo-Dutch Km 8: "OC" Fanam, Cochin, 18th century
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 05:29:57 AM »
Here is what Mr. Herrli's book says about these:

"These rare, light and usually badly struck fanams are said to be from Cochin, but they represent quite a different type and may--like the Kali fanams with a similar OC--be fabrications."

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 03:07:41 AM »
Here is what Mr. Herrli's book says about these:

"These rare, light and usually badly struck fanams are said to be from Cochin, but they represent quite a different type and may--like the Kali fanams with a similar OC--be fabrications."

That's a bold statement. Not sure if they are rare or light. I don't find them struck worse than others of that time/place, I think the design is closely connected with other coins of the period (standing deity with "conch shell", the head is outside the flan) and I have never seen doubts about their authenticity before. I felt secure buying this copy. Since it was struck with a slightly different part of the die, the two coins together give you a good impression of what these coins were meant to look like.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 04:51:10 PM »
Already in 1675 we find references for the minting of silver coins at Negapatnam. It is supposed that this refers to the large silver fanam of 6 stiver (ca. 1.00 g.). The obverse shows a stylistic representation of a deity (Kali) with a Sankha on its breast. The reverse bears a lazy J with O C above and three rows of 4 dots below (Sch. 1234).
The lazy J may look like the sheath of a traditional Yemen Jambiya, but  actually is derived from the design of Viraraya-fanam. This design goes back to the pre-Vijayanagar period and represents a standing Boar to right.

Besides the large fanam, also smaller silver fanams or puttans (ca. 0.35 g.) were struck (Sch.1250). The coins were largely struck for the factories at Cochin and Tuticorin.
A type without a Sankha on the breast, was called Sankhalata Puttan (= without Sankha) and attributed by Scholten to Cochin (Sch. 1251), but in my opinion it is more likely that they were struck at Negapatnam or Tuticorin.
It is not unlikely that at a certain stage the minting of the puttan and double puttan was undertaken at Cochin as well. Gold fanams of Rassi-type, which were struck at Cochin, are well known (Sch.1249), as are the similar copper stivers and fractions. Less known is the silver puttan of Rassi-type (Sch. Not listed).

Around 1820/1 native issues of the large fanam (double puttan) and single Puttan were struck by the Raja of Cochin. They seem to be identical to the earlier VOC issues and  if so they are hard to be distinguished from each other (C#1 & 2). Almost forty year later (1856-58) Puttans and double Puttans with the sankha motif on the side of the deity where struck by Cochin. On this issue the Lazy J with O C design is replaced by the bust of a four armed deity (C.#5 & #6).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:27:03 PM by Oesho »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 11:21:35 PM »
Thanks, Oesho. I do not have you sources, but the complicated typology of the Negapatnam pagoda alone suggests that everyone was vying with everyone else for coin market share in South India. When dies are hand-cut, it takes the knowledge of a local shroff of the time to know which is which.

Less known is the silver puttan of Rassi-type (Sch. Not listed).

Would it look like Sch 1249 in silver? I am weary of coins in different metals struck with the same die. Surely, people knew how to gild a coin. Could it not have been a minting error? Or maybe the gold content of the piece was so low that it looked like silver? These coins are usually very pale on account of a high silver/low gold content. Do you have one in your collection or do you have a picture? I'd love to see one.

Peter

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 11:49:47 PM »
Wait Peter, till Richie has uploaded the images I sent to him to be inserted with this thread. I given illustrations with all the Scholten and Craig numbers.
(my apologies for the delay in posting these AND for renaming the images due to software incompatibility.. richie)

1 Sch. 1234 Negapatnam large silver fanam
2 Sch. 1250
3 Sch. 1251
4 Sch. 1249
5 Sch. not listed
6 C#5
7 C#6
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 06:29:34 PM by Rangnath »

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 06:32:12 PM »
Oesho, the combination of exquisite imaging and museum quality examples is absolutely BREATHTAKING!  Thanks so much for sharing these.
richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 09:59:38 PM »
I agree 100% with Richie. So the difference is that on the silver coin (S -) the lazy J points to the other side. That solves that problem. I would like to add this discovery and illustration to KM. May I use this illustration? Or would you prefer to contact Krause Publications yourself?

Peter

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 12:03:13 AM »
I would like to add this discovery and illustration to KM. May I use this illustration?

You're welcome. If you require any metric data for it, please let me know.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 06:02:07 AM »
I am trying to read the "Lazy" J as a boar, and I can do it. Was the boar domesticated in Southern India?  Was a "cap" placed on top of the boa's tusk to prevent injury to handlers?  Or, is the abstract tusk on the coin portrayed with a "ball" at the end for decorative reasons only?

I pulled this from wiki:
"The continuously growing tusks (the canine teeth) serve as weapons and tools. The lower tusks of an adult male measure about 20 cm (7.9 in) (from which seldom more than 10 cm (3.9 in) protrude out of the mouth), in exceptional cases even 30 cm (12 in). "

richie

Offline @josephjk

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 12:57:07 AM »
Reviving an older thread....
I got this coin about 6 months ago and have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get it attributed. The coin holder was labelled Malabar fanam and it weighs 0.39 gram. The coin is slightly cupped (concave/convex)
The design seems to be a combination of the reverse of a Cochin puthen and the reverse of a Dutch fanam

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 01:12:43 PM »
Later fabrication.

Offline @josephjk

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 03:23:30 PM »
Later fabrication.

That's what I suspected...thanks Oesho!