Banswara half rupee: Secret Script

Started by Rangnath, June 15, 2008, 07:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

According to the Standard Catalog, the coin was minted as a Nazarana ½ rupee in 1870, during the reign of Lakshman Singh.  In 1901, the population of Banswara, a 4160 sq. km state in modern day Rajasthan, was around 165,000.
Lakshman, the Maharawal (the great ruler?), apparently invented a secret script which he used on his coins.  The word on both sides of this Km 22 is "Samstraba" which refers to the Hindu deity Siva. I wonder why Lakshman had need of such a script?
Richie

Overlord

Quote from: Rangnath on June 15, 2008, 07:02:44 AM
I wonder why Lakshman had need of such a script?
Richie
All I managed to find was that these coins were issued in defiance of a British order prohibiting the issuance of coinage. Perhaps that was the reason for the use of a secret script---so that their origin couldn't be traced to him  ;)

BC Numismatics

Richie,
  That's a very nice Banswaran 1/2 Rupee coin that you've got there.Banswara's coins are pretty elusive to me,as we never see them over here at all.

You have to be very careful with the Banswaran coins,as there are some very deceptive forgeries around.

Aidan.

Figleaf

That piece is worthy of Oesho's collection. Congratulations, Richie, a true gem, magnificently pictured here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

My coin thanks you for the compliments Aidan and Peter. 

When I was a child, I had a bed cover with a cowboy design on it: letters were spelled out by the lasso. 
That is what the secret script looks like to me.
richie

Overlord

"Samba" stands for Shiva. But what is the exact translation of "Samsatraba" (Samba Satra)?