Afghan Rupee of Mahmud Shah: Second Reign

Started by Rangnath, June 06, 2008, 01:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

I'm posting this for two reasons.  One, I think it is a well crafted coin with beautifully flowing calligraphy.  This rupee weighs 11.5 grams, was minted in Herat (also known as Dar as Sultanat?) during the second reign of Mahmud Shah in the year 1222 or about 1807.  If one enjoys complexity, Afghan history is for you.

The second reason is to find out if it is OK with everyone to enter an Afghan coin here, under the rubric of the Indian Sub-continent rather than place it in the Asia compartment. 
Historically, what we now call Afghanistan has been under the sway of either Iranian Empires to the East, Indian Empires to the West and from armed invasion from the North.  When I was a kid, The sub-continent of India would have included Herat and Kabul.  Does it still?

richie

Overlord

Quote from: Rangnath on June 06, 2008, 01:24:06 AM
.... was minted in Herat (also known as Dar as Sultanat?) ... richie
Beautiful coin, Richie. A search on Google shows "Dar-as-Sultanat Kucha" and "Dar-as-Sultanat Lahore", in addition to "Dar-as-Sultanat Herat". "Dar-as-Sultanat" seems like an epithet to me.

Rangnath

I agree; "the home of Sultans"?
I kind of like that. I could see that in professional sports too, as in the San Francisco Sultans, though I would guess that wouldn't go over too well in the USA.  :(
richie

Figleaf

As for your question where to post Afghan coins, the subtitle of this child board is: "India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Iran, Afghanistan and predecessor states", so it couldn't be in a better place.

Oh, and it's a really nice coin to. Thanks for taking the trouble to post it. 8)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.