Need help with these coins.

Started by Daidipya, February 22, 2012, 04:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daidipya

My uncle sent me picture of these coins and he wants to know more about them.Picture is not clear but some information will also help.He says all coins are US dollars.

villa66

Several of these items look to me like obvious fakes. Might take a magnet to them as a preliminary check.

;) v.

Figleaf

Two of them are French Indo China piasters. Unfortunately, the picture is not sharp enough to say more. It would be better to post these coins in individual threads.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Daidipya

Quote from: villa66 on February 22, 2012, 08:59:32 PM
Several of these items look to me like obvious fakes. Might take a magnet to them as a preliminary check.

;) v.

What if magnet attracts?I do not know metal composition of genuine coin.Can you tell me?Also he put some coins in acid to check whether is it silver or not.He said non of them are silver.

Daidipya

Quote from: Figleaf on February 23, 2012, 01:46:29 AM
Two of them are French Indo China piasters. Unfortunately, the picture is not sharp enough to say more. It would be better to post these coins in individual threads.

Peter

Yes sir,2 of them are french indochina piastres dated 1905,1 became red after putting in acid,are they genuine?

villa66

Quote from: Daidipya on February 23, 2012, 05:42:58 AM
What if magnet attracts?I do not know metal composition of genuine coin.Can you tell me?Also he put some coins in acid to check whether is it silver or not.He said non of them are silver.

All of these items, in their genuine forms, are fine silver coins that are not magnetic. The piastres of French Indochina proclaim their weight and fineness on their reverse, while American silver dollars of the 1878-1935 Morgan and Peace types weigh 26.73 grams and are of .900 silver, while American dollars--when genuine--of the type pictured at the extreme upper left are of .892 silver and weigh 26.96 grams.

Hope this helps.

:) v.

Daidipya

Quote from: villa66 on February 23, 2012, 06:41:17 AM
All of these items, in their genuine forms, are fine silver coins that are not magnetic. The piastres of French Indochina proclaim their weight and fineness on their reverse, while American silver dollars of the 1878-1935 Morgan and Peace types weigh 26.73 grams and are of .900 silver, while American dollars--when genuine--of the type pictured at the extreme upper left are of .892 silver and weigh 26.96 grams.

Hope this helps.

:) v.

Thank you.It's helpful.  :)