News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Summer quiz

Started by Figleaf, August 20, 2012, 05:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squarecoinman

Quote from: Figleaf on August 20, 2012, 07:52:09 PM
Wow! That's fast. I had one more question, so as to cover all continents.

On what occasion was this commemorative issued (obvious clue removed)

25th Anniversary of Coronation and
Opening of Parliament Building ( new Zealand )
World square coin book 1900-2000

Afrasi

In the fifth year of the French revolution Louis XVI was already dead.  ???

Figleaf

Correct, as andyg said, this coin was issued for two occasions. I had rubbed out the words NEW ZEALAND PARLIAMENT on the coin. Here is the other side and the other occasion.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

Quote from: Afrasi on August 20, 2012, 09:21:09 PM
In the fifth year of the French revolution Louis XVI was already dead.

Yes. The head on this coin was chopped off in January 1793, so chances are that the man on this coin was a private citizen, a criminal, convicted of high treason and executed by the time this coin was struck.

Hope you had fun.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

squarecoinman

A great quiz ,

looking forward to the next one

squarecoinman
World square coin book 1900-2000

translateltd

Quote from: andyg on August 20, 2012, 08:15:50 PM
Krause has this commemorating two themes - but I'll wait for Martin before deciding if Krause it right or not ;D

It does indeed commemorate two separate and unrelated themes.  I even remember the release of this coin making the TV news back in 1978, one of the few occasions when anything numismatic has hit the headlines, and for totally non-controversial but just "general interest" reasons.

andyg

Quote from: translateltd on August 20, 2012, 11:27:04 PM
It does indeed commemorate two separate and unrelated themes.  I even remember the release of this coin making the TV news back in 1978, one of the few occasions when anything numismatic has hit the headlines, and for totally non-controversial but just "general interest" reasons.

A coin celebrating two unrelated themes - I think that's still pretty unusual - there probably will be others now (something from the Marshall Islands I've no doubt) but I can't think of another off the top of my head.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

malj1

Quote from: squarecoinman on August 20, 2012, 10:16:24 PM
A great quiz ,

looking forward to the next one

squarecoinman

Early morning here. Sat down with my coffee to find you all have been having fun!  :'(
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

translateltd

Quote from: andyg on August 20, 2012, 11:45:35 PM
A coin celebrating two unrelated themes - I think that's still pretty unusual - there probably will be others now (something from the Marshall Islands I've no doubt) but I can't think of another off the top of my head.

The 1977 dollar did, too.  The obverse marked the 25th anniversary of accession and the reverse marked Waitangi Day (NZ's national day), which happens to be on 6 February and therefore coincides with the Queen's accession date.  The day had  been renamed New Zealand Day in 1973 (hence the 1974 commemorative marking the fact) and the 1977 issue presumably marks the return of the original name following the 1976 Act that changed it back.

<k>

Hmm - do I sense a theme coming on? Well, others know more about it than me, so I leave someone to start it.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.