News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Die Variety: Rs 1 1991 Commonwealth Parliament Bombay Mint

Started by ashishparui03, July 06, 2012, 08:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashishparui03

here we look at 1 rs 1991 commonwealth parliament coin,which was minted by bombay mint.i came to this conclusion..!!the coin in the left is normal coin ,while the coin in the rite has obv or asoka pillar lion which was used in unc and proof sets,as i have the proof as well as uncc set of this coin i confirmed the coin in the rite is a SURE SHOT DIE VARIETY..the easiest way to find out is by looking at the central lion and its chest hair.the normal coin has a line divideing its chest hair,while in the die variety its chest hair is re-engraved..i hope i made a point!!this coin also has mintmark varieties

kage01

Best Regards.
Kunal Jain

kansal888

dheer

http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

The Oracle

Quote from: ashishparui03 on July 06, 2012, 08:31:35 PM
here we look at 1 rs 1991 commonwealth parliament coin,which was minted by bombay mint.i came to this conclusion..!!the coin in the left is normal coin ,while the coin in the rite has obv or asoka pillar lion which was used in unc and proof sets,as i have the proof as well as uncc set of this coin i confirmed the coin in the rite is a SURE SHOT DIE VARIETY..the easiest way to find out is by looking at the central lion and its chest hair.the normal coin has a line divideing its chest hair,while in the die variety its chest hair is re-engraved..i hope i made a point!!this coin also has mintmark varieties

i dont know how to break this to you but both coins are normal coins.  is there a variety?  not really.  there is no re engraving anywhere the design element has not changed at all as in what you see with two rupee coins where reengraving was actually done.  in one set the lion is slightly worn out due to use (die use) but in the other its a fully haired specimen.  should the fully haired specimen command a premium?  in time it will.  Its the same argument that is made for the brass lion mustaches. 

also dont get caught up in minor mintmark varieties ( as in paying exorbitant premiums) mint marks are added later by hand so there are many variations.  same thing for so called mules.  in other countries mules sell for lakhs ?(even modern ones)  here you can find them for next to nothing because they are not.  All this is just my humble opinion you are a very experienced collector and know whats best.   :)

ashishparui03

look at the NUMERAL "1",LEFT SIDE IS A THINNER NUMERAL ONE,RIGHT SIDE IS A THICKER NUMERAL ONE I HOPE THAT WAS NOT CAUSED DUE TO WORN OUT DIE.I AM JUST A LEARNER AND SHAREING MY THOUGHTS
THANK YOU

The Oracle

Quote from: ashishparui03 on July 07, 2012, 10:35:58 AM
look at the NUMERAL "1",LEFT SIDE IS A THINNER NUMERAL ONE,RIGHT SIDE IS A THICKER NUMERAL ONE I HOPE THAT WAS NOT CAUSED DUE TO WORN OUT DIE.I AM JUST A LEARNER AND SHAREING MY THOUGHTS
THANK YOU

we are all learners sharing our thoughts here, we don't need all caps for that.  think this through if the lion hair was renegraved then how did the number 1 change or are you now trying to suggest that even the number 1 was re-engraved? or its a totally different die? and if you knew this information before hand why would you suggest that the lion had been re-engraved? also in proof coins you will usually find that lions are usually not re-engraved even the indian mint is not that careless.  You have also not addressed my question on the lion whiskers not stripes).  do you consider those varieties if not then why not and if you do then how many varieties are you looking at?

In the 1991 parliament coin alone there are over a dozen differences which you may choose or not choose to call varieties/mules/errors  depending on the school of thought you subscribe to. 

ashishparui03

in my opinion,right side coin is a die variety,with something different in the central lions chest hair(re-engraving or extra hair) and the numeral 1 is also different,as i refered to the unc and proof set,it had this similar obv.so i classiefied this as a die variety,and the next coin which i have in plenty of quantity i classified that normal coin.
sir nowhere in the post i have classified this as a mule or error.
its a die variety for me

ashishparui03

this coin post was posted by one of the most reputed collectors of republic india coins,named Shriharsh Waghrulkar, in faceook this is what he had to say "1 Rupee Parliamentary Conference Die variety.

Two different lions (Check the center lion) and difference in Horse tail.
i went and checked my spares and cud immidietly spot these differences and this is how i shared my thoughts

ashishparui03

and this was my findings and  reply to mr shriharsh post

The Oracle

Quote from: ashishparui03 on July 07, 2012, 01:33:37 PM
and this was my findings and  reply to mr shriharsh post

Reengraving by definition means that the original die has been worked upon.  If the die has been changed then it cannot be reengraved by definition.  Also look at the 2 lions it is not possible for anyone to go from lion one to lion two with the technology available in 1991 by process of reengraving even if we ignore the numeral 1 for a few seconds.  We all have to be process centered rather than people centered and that enables maximum learning  beyond this i am afraid there is very little i can say that will add value. 

paisepagal

dheer

@Aashish,
1. Stop calling the difference in Lions [Re-Engraved]. By definition re-engraving means that an Original Mother Hub [or at times Master Die] is reworked to get finer details. This is done as the Mother / Master after creating quite a few working dies has lost its sharpness. The re-engraving is noticiable in the Rs 2 definitive coins of cupro-nickel series.

2. Die Varieties can be caused by using a different mother/master die.

3. Thick / Thin varities especially on mint marks / dates etc can happen as these are put later on working dies. The Thick / Thin can also happen by the same Master die ... while creating a working die it needs to be hubbed 3-4 times to get the desired incuse [deapth] ... at times if its done less or more it results in a difference on the working die that is noticiable.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

ashishparui03

oracle ji ,i agree with you completely,i respect ur opinion ,thanks.take care

rrjadhav76

I definitely see a difference in central lion chest engraving. But I failed to note difference in numeral 1 (but that's ok. Sometimes it's hard for me to see enough difference just looking at photo). I agree that it's not something I feel is re-cut/re-engraved die but looks like a die variety to me.
Ashish, I "think" the other variety that was posted in facebook forum by Mr. Jayedevan for 1 Rs 1991 Parliment is something I felt as re-cut chest. But again the photo was not clear enough for to be sure.