News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Bhopal Rupee Y 14

Started by Rangnath, May 06, 2008, 02:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

The 10.8 gram rupee is dated 1295 which places it during the reign of Shah Jahan Begam. Among her many accomplishments was the beginning of construction of what was to become one of the largest Mosques in India, the Taj-ul-Masajid.  I'm ashamed to say that even though I walked by that mosque daily for two years and my friends in Bhopal all spoke of it with pride (unfinished as it was at that time), I never knew or heard of the woman who initiated the building of this place of worship. 

I do have trouble "reading" this coin and I would much appreciate some help.  I can "see" the Zarb which is below "Bhopal" on the reverse.  And I "recognize" the last most of the  letters used in "Bhopal" because of their use in other coins, but I do not understand the symbol used for the aspirated "H" in BHOPAL?

And I can not do much with the words on the obverse.  Any help would be appreciated.
richie 

Oesho

The question mark is the 'h' in Bhopal.

Oesho

The legend reads in an elaborate style, obverse: Sanah 1295 Hijri and reverse: Zarb (Ry.) Fi Bhopal.

Oesho

BTW, where do you see Yr. 14? The rupee is dated 1295. The matching Ry.'s are 10 & 11.

Rangnath

I went back to Plant's description of the Arabic Alphabet and yes, I can see the "h" if I look at the form it takes as an "isolate" or basic letter.  In the context of "BHOPAL", the "h" should be medial. Is this an example of flexibility that is part of the elaborate style or is basic form of "h" used because it doesn't carry a vowel sound? I guess I thought that an "isolate" letter could not be joined calligraphically with the letter that precedes or follows.

It was kind of you to provide a translation. Thank you Oesho.

By Y 14, I was referring to the catalog number (14), not the reynal date.

richie 

Rangnath

If you are still in possession of this coin, would you mind supplying the size?
richie

Rangnath

Not at all. For you, anything. After all, you are much more than a fellow collector!  ::)
richie

19 mm X 19 mm

Figleaf

That's a very nice split personality you have there, Richie. Maybe one of them can sell newspapers while the other one is at work? :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

Alas, I can not.  While I can be profoundly split on this issue,my wife says this is because I lack an X Chromosome and therefore can not multi-task.  :(
richie