Author Topic: China, cash, emperor Shen Tsung, era hsi ning (xi ning) 1068-1077  (Read 1807 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Another ancient looking one, the bottom & left symbol appear on coins of the Northern Sung period but I can't find all four

4.72g    24.5mm
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 03:02:16 PM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

akona20

Re: Yet another cash to identify
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:37:38 PM »
As venerable Mr Leung's notes were wrong last time, maybe I wait for expert.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:45:32 PM »
As venerable Mr Leung's notes were wrong last time, maybe I wait for expert.

All contributions gratefully received  ;D
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 11:55:42 PM »
China, cash, emperor Shen Tsung, era hsi ning (xi ning) 1068-1077, Remmelts 60. Seal script characters: hsi (top) ning (right) yuan (bottom) pao (left).

Sketch in Remmelts is bad, so here is a specimen in a somewhat better grade to compare with.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 11:18:35 AM »
Thank you Peter, it's amazing how old some of these turn out to be & yet are of little value, presumably because they must have made hundreds of thousands of them  :o

Vic
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:08:14 PM »
Yes, they were made in quantity, but more important, not so many were melted. The older coins got amulet value. They were used for lucky symbols (the sword made of cash coins is a good example) and strings were hung on graves. Grave robbers removed the strings and sold them again as amulets, while the family of the deceased believed the dead had taken the money for use in the empire of shadows.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 03:27:26 PM »
I did  have a coin sword exactly like the one in that link, along with some large 50 & 100 cash coins of Hsein-feng I kept them in a small display case of odd & curious money together with Tampang hat money & various other weird shaped items of money.
Vic

translateltd

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 09:30:54 PM »
I'm sure this is the same as a coin we  discussed at some length a while ago.  The legend is doubtless the same as the one shown in Peter's image, but note the character styles - only the bottom one matches the seal style of the coin in Peter's picture, the other three in the original picture being closer to the "square" type.  An unusual mix.

Offline weepio

• The last Emperor
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 12:24:54 AM »
Peter has the right coin alright. There are many variations of this coin.