Author Topic: New Zealand: 1953 QEII Coronation Set  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
New Zealand: 1953 QEII Coronation Set
« on: June 09, 2012, 11:47:27 AM »
I got this Coronation Set of 1953, consisting of 8 Coins - From Half Penny to Crown. A similar set was issued by Great Britain.
During the Reign of QE II, the following 24 countries have issued the coins:

1.    Australia
2.    Belize
3.    Bermuda
4.    British East Carribean
5.    Canada
6.    Cayman Islands
7.    Ceylon
8.    Cook Islands
9.    Cyprus
10.   East Carribean
11.   Falkland Islands
12.   Fiji
13.   Gibraltar
14.   Great Britain (UK)
15.   Guernsey
16.   Hong Kong
17.   Isle of Man
18.   Jersey
19.   Mauritius
20.   New Zealand
21.   Seychelles
22.   Solomon Islands
23.   South Africa
24.   Saint Helena

Besides Great Britain and New Zealand, was Coronation set issued by any other country?

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: New Zealand: 1953 QEII Coronation Set
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 12:02:37 PM »
That's a beautiful set, Abhay, and an interesting question. The 1953 New Zealand crown was issued especially to celebrate the coronation. The UK also issued its own commemorative crown for 1953. Southern Rhodesia issued one in 1953, but it was to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Cecil Rhodes - not to mark the Queen's coronation.

Canada issued a special coronation medal but no coin. Australia and South Africa, the two other large Dominions, did not issue any coin to commemorate the coronation. So it looks as if only the UK and NZ did. Several of the countries and territories on your list did not of course issue any coins until long after 1953.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 02:17:18 PM by <k> »
Turning data into information and information into knowledge.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Tokens
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 02:15:18 PM »
Canada issued a special coronation medal but no coin.

Which just happens to be on my desk today...
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 04:07:43 PM »
The nearest Australia came was to issue a special florin with a kangaroo on the reverse to commemorate the Queen's visit in 1954.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 05:30:28 PM »
That's a beautiful set! Did you get it from an Indian dealer or ordered from some foreign dealer?

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

translateltd

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 01:16:26 AM »
The set is interesting because as originally issued there was no perspex or screws, and the coins were exposed to the air with no way of turning them over without touching them.  An interesting "modification".

NZ and (presumably) the UK made similar Coronation/Royal Visit medals in 1953 with the same obverse.  Here's one that was given to all schoolchildren in NZ for the 1953-54 Royal Visit.  I have another with the same obverse, which I assume is British, showing what looks like the prow of a galley and the Coronation date 2 June 1953.  Once I find it I'll photograph it ...

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 02:33:36 AM »
That's a beautiful set! Did you get it from an Indian dealer or ordered from some foreign dealer?

Aditya

I got it from Ebay for about 110 USD. I was really lucky, as generally, New Zealand sets are being offered for about USD 250.

The set is interesting because as originally issued there was no perspex or screws, and the coins were exposed to the air with no way of turning them over without touching them.  An interesting "modification".

Yes, I agree. All the other sets on offer are without the perspex holder. Even my Great Britain set is in Perspex holder. I think, some of the sets were issued in the Perspex holders at a little premium. Or it could have been done later also to preserve the coins.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

translateltd

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 11:17:33 AM »

I have another with the same obverse, which I assume is British, showing what looks like the prow of a galley and the Coronation date 2 June 1953.  Once I find it I'll photograph it ...

Engipress has saved me the effort:

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,15645.msg107089.html#msg107089

Just as well, as I have no idea where mine has gone!