News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Kashmir, Harsha Deva (1089 to 1101 AD)

Started by Overlord, April 27, 2008, 05:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overlord

Rangnath

Hi Overlord,
I thought that we had discussed Harsha Deva many months ago on this site; I could be wrong and I certainly can't find it in World of Coins. 
I seem to remember that Harsha made a reputation for himself as a harsh ruler who combined religious fanaticism with deficit spending problems.  The solution?  Harsha sacked Buddhist centers to enrich his coffers.  I also remember reading that he started his career as ruler with promise.  Perhaps he ran afoul of adult onset schizophrenia.  His became quite the terror in his later career and ended it all on a tragic note.
richie

Overlord

Quote from: Rangnath on April 27, 2008, 10:51:36 PM
I seem to remember that Harsha made a reputation for himself as a harsh ruler...
richie
Which is probably why he was called Harsh;D

Rangnath

Nice try Overlord!  I looked it up. The English word "Harsh" is related to a Scandanavian word "harsk" which might have been once used to refer to the texture of rancid bacon.  Perhaps Harsha's behavior would have been different had he access to decent Pork Products?  ??? Perhaps it wasn't Schizophrenia but mild and continuous food poisoning which drove him mad.  8) More research is needed.
richie

Overlord

Quote from: Rangnath on May 05, 2008, 12:49:29 AM
Nice try Overlord!  I looked it up. The English word "Harsh" is related to a Scandanavian word "harsk" which might have been once used to refer to the texture of rancid bacon.  Perhaps Harsha's behavior would have been different had he access to decent Pork Products?  ??? Perhaps it wasn't Schizophrenia but mild and continuous food poisoning which drove him mad.  8) More research is needed.
richie
I was just kidding, Richie. Thanks for looking it up anyway. BTW, the word "Harsha" in Hindi means "joy".

Rangnath

Ah, Harsha Deva, the God of Joy?
richie