Author Topic: Discussion: 1995 Easy way to differentiate between Crop Science first issue and re-strike issue  (Read 26416 times)

Offline Mits

• Mits
One more from my collection

1996 International Crop Science 5 Rs UNC (Set of 2)

Mits
~High on Life~

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
Re: One more show off - 1996 International Crop Science 5 Rs UNC
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 08:54:25 AM »
That's a rare beauty, Mr. Shah. Very nice. Congrats!
Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline kage01

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:16:25 PM »
Congratulations!

Looks like the 2nd Issue of Crop Science.
Best Regards.
Kunal Jain

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
One more show off - 1996 International Crop Science 5 Rs UNC
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 05:26:53 PM »
Congratulations! 8)

I wonder why such a set of two exactly identical coins was issued. I don't think there's any such set (with two identical coins-same denomination, same composition) issued by any country? ???

Also, was this set issued to collectors officially?

Looks like the 2nd Issue of Crop Science.

Do you mean re-strike? I have heard of re-strikes of this particular issue!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

paisepagal

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:44:10 PM »
It's been called a VIP set... And no, it's not a precedent ... The nehru presentation case of 1964 also had 2 Re1 coins

These coins were recalled because the conference was never held... So it defies logic to officially restrike a coin that was cancelled. If someone does have a restrike... it's a statement of where we are at as a country....money power and cronyism gets you far if nothing else does

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 07:04:46 PM »
This links talk about 2 Coins of Rs 5 in Blister pack. Please check out the link, I guess Kolkata mint released these coins.

http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in/2011/07/1996-2nd-international-crop-science.html
Warm Regards,
Mackie

paisepagal

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM »
uptil 2008, there was this polish gentleman who sourced what seemed like an infinite quantity of these vip sets from a contact in Surat...I bought 2 sets from him (over ebay usa...not knowing of this arrangement at the time) at what would be down-right cheap prices even then...i don't expect the packaging to be genuine... or may be it is...in anycase, the coins are genuine which matters in the end...

....and before anyone asks, i already gifted away that extra set to a friend collector a couple years ago. 

Offline The Oracle

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 07:48:10 PM »
uptil 2008, there was this polish gentleman who sourced what seemed like an infinite quantity of these vip sets from a contact in Surat...I bought 2 sets from him (over ebay usa...not knowing of this arrangement at the time) at what would be down-right cheap prices even then...i don't expect the packaging to be genuine... or may be it is...in anycase, the coins are genuine which matters in the end...

....and before anyone asks, i already gifted away that extra set to a friend collector a couple years ago.

what about your set?  surely you dont need 2 coins  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

sorry i thought i better ask before someone else does  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 07:51:32 PM »
what about your set?  surely you dont need 2 coins  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

sorry i thought i better ask before someone else does  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bohahahhaha TO bro you are such an opportunist. Love it. Nyceee.. ;D ;D ;D
Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 11:25:34 PM »
It's been called a VIP set... And no, it's not a precedent ... The nehru presentation case of 1964 also had 2 Re1 coins

I have never seen the 1964 set with two Re 1 coins. Would you please post pictures of the same? The ones I have got are Re 1 and 50p and Re 1 alone.

Offline Mits

• Mits
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 10:26:32 AM »
Sorry was out of town and am overwhelmd.

Oracle sorry to say again not sellling :D

~High on Life~

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 12:41:07 PM »
I don't think there's any such set (with two identical coins-same denomination, same composition) issued by any country? ???

I dont know about other countries, but a set containing two identical coins were issued numerous times in India.  ;D  ;D  ;D

And no, it's not a precedent ... The nehru presentation case of 1964 also had 2 Re1 coins

Sorry Paise, Nehru presentation case of 1964 never contained two Re 1 coins..  >:(  >:(  >:(

paisepagal

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »
I don't have the Nehru set myself....but maybe in 2003 or so, the set was offered on eBay usa by a dealer who I'd buy from regularly and who sold genuIne stuff otherwise.

There were 2 pics in the advert.... 1st pic of 2 Nehru coins in the box....obverse and reverse with the coa in the middle. The coins were of same size. The inner lining seemed whitesilk-like... And 2nd pic of the coa which just gave the details of the re 1 coin
The box looked like it was meant to hold 2 coins

I never bought it because I had never heard of such a set before, and the price was an astronomical Rs6800 ... Moreover, the coins just seemed good quality biz strikes....not fitting in my definition of a mint set then ....

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
One more show off - 1996 International Crop Science 5 Rs UNC
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 12:57:26 PM »
I dont know about other countries, but a set containing two identical coins were issued numerous times in India.

Example(s)?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 02:31:13 PM »
Example(s)?

Cellular Jail plus at least half a dozen more (probably full dozen)  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D