Gratian, AE3, Gloria Novi Saecvli, Arelate

Started by oldecurb, October 24, 2011, 12:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldecurb

13mm dia and 2.32 g.  Is it Roman or Greek

Thanks in advance
Bruce

translateltd

The letters VS P visible to the right of the effigy suggest Roman to me, though it's very crude and I suspect late Roman (or possibly very early Byzantine) as a result.  Anastasius, perhaps?  I did have a squizz through the Byzantine catalogue but couldn't find any convincing matches at the time.

akona20

If my eyes would focus maybe I could do something. VSP on the reverse is rather common (lol). Can someone pick up a little more of the legend on either the obverse or reverse?

Arminius

The visible obverse legend fragments plus humble style suggest a contemporary "barbarous" Valens/Valentinianus-imitation, maybe a mix of these reverse types -

- with an indication of the officina number like the Arelate mint (Arles) about 364-365 AD.

regards

Figleaf

Excellent id, Arminius. I have no doubt that it is the upper variant. Not only is the figure facing, not walking past, but the dotted line on the left is a clear giveaway. I just can't place the two letters to the left of the dotted line.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

Quote from: Figleaf on October 30, 2011, 11:23:03 AM
I just can't place the two letters to the left of the dotted line.

Peter

Looks like "OF", as in the second example.  If it's a crude contemporary imitation that would explain the fairly shaky-looking F.

akona20

Valens or Gartian (perhaps Valentinian but I really don't think so).

Arles or Lyon Gloria Romanorvm

Standard issue.

SC

The type is actually Gloria Novi Saecvli, a scarce type struck only for Gratian and only at Arelate.

The reverse has Emperor standing, head right, holding labarum and shield at feet.

SC