Author Topic: UK local transportation tokens  (Read 88782 times)

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Re: UK local transportation tokens
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2013, 04:28:18 PM »
Quick question to the UK transport token collectors out there: Where do you get these goodies from? Last time I looked on British eBay (admittedly a while ago) the number of transport tokens was very limited. Likewise in the online lists of dealers that I frequent. Conversely, I've got Swedish transport tokens coming out of my ears because they're easily come by on both Tradera (Swedish eBay) and at dealers.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2013, 05:19:15 PM »
But the good people of Matlock got tired of rectangular tokens. The last two are round. Here is the blue variety.  One day, I'll have the red one too 8)

And sure enough, here it is. Plus a later token (both sides are the same.) I have great friends!

Peter
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:55:17 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2013, 10:36:07 PM »
Quick question to the UK transport token collectors out there: Where do you get these goodies from? Last time I looked on British eBay (admittedly a while ago) the number of transport tokens was very limited. Likewise in the online lists of dealers that I frequent. Conversely, I've got Swedish transport tokens coming out of my ears because they're easily come by on both Tradera (Swedish eBay) and at dealers.

A search on UK eBay for British transport tokens today reveals 56, at other times there are more; just recently two large collections have been sold on there.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2013, 08:06:25 PM »
Uptread is a later series of Dundee public transportation tokens, also showing the Dundee arms. These tokens still refer to the Dundee tramways. The halfpenny (23 mm) is noticeably larger than the penny (22 mm).

Added a penny in a different material.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:57:11 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »
We already have a thread, complete with coat of arms, on Edinburgh transportation tokens here, but this addition is special. Three different types of 5, D and •, attesting to the enduring usefulness of the tokens as well as how they got lost, so that new tokens had to be ordered from time to time. It was an extra income for the Edinburgh Corporation and now provides joy to collectors.

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2013, 11:10:04 PM »
For other denominations in the Yorkshire woollen district series see this post.

Penny red (transport) and 1-˝ pence pale green (tramways) added

Peter
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:44:34 PM by Figleaf »

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2013, 12:49:46 PM »
This fantastic token is currently on eBay; BRADFORD. CITY TRAMWAYS. signed FATTORINI & SONS reverse BRADFORD. DISTRICT NURSES. ONLY TO BE USED WHEN ON DUTY

Smith & Smith list it at Bradford 115D and suggest it is bronze and 31mm. - the size of an old penny.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2013, 04:39:00 AM »
Another that is difficult to identify, bearing only arms and denomination, are the tokens from Blackburn, Lancs.

They show the city arms with ARTE ET LABORE on the ribbon. This type are listed as R4 = 121-600 known.

Edit;
Motto 'ARTE ET LABORE' - By skill and labour.
Granted 14th February 1852, to the former Borough of Blackburn.

The Borough of Blackburn was formed by the amalgamation of the County Borough of Blackburn, the Borough of Darwen, part of the Turton Urban District and the parishes of Yate and Pickup Bank, Eccleshill, Livesey, Pleasington and Tockholes from the Blackburn Rural District.

from... http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk/cumbria_palatine_counties.html#blackburn%20bc
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:36:57 AM by malj1 »
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2013, 09:18:42 AM »
Another Glasgow 2 stage added today. rev. legend nicely spaced - see right-hand token the other is left-hand from above in Epa3054; obv see space between upper and lower legend. I.E. G to T

See here for original discussion.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:42:40 PM by Figleaf »
Malcolm

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2013, 10:25:12 AM »
May I ask what is Epa3054?

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
Part of Epa3054 is the left-hand token.

See the link below the image to this Reply #85
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2013, 10:35:36 AM »
Rotherham is an industrial town in Yorkshire. The text on the ribbon means "thus industry flourishes". I like the way this token has worn, acquiring some smudge in the process that accentuate the lettering.

For Rotherham county borough tokens, see here.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 06:27:23 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2013, 11:19:47 AM »
Darlington is a railway town, at one time pivot on the Darlington & Stockton railways (one of the first train is at the top of the arms,) later best known as one of the train stops between London and York. This token has exactly the same colour as the Rotherham token above. I suspect one factory got the lion share of the market.

The arms were changed in 1960. The 1974 edition of the arms is shown here.

Added ˝d black, penny red, 2d yellow. Picture was lightened to show detail on the halfpenny. Note to the Daily Mail: those are the colours of ze Djerman vlag!

Here's a surprising addition: a token with different arms. They are the 1976 arms of the Borough, not the city of Darlington, as on the token above.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:37:41 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2013, 11:44:41 AM »
You wouldn't know it from this token, but the arms of Ipswich are a climbing lion left and three ship hulls right. Indeed, Ipswich is one of the Cinque Ports, your best bet of remembering the French word for five. ;) The motto on the ribbon is MVNIA CIVITAS DECVS CIVIVM: the role of the city is the honour of the citizens.

Added 1-˝ penny black (colour changed to increase contrast.)
Added 2 pence yellow

Peter
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:55:07 AM by Figleaf »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »
Here's a charming pair that is different from the "mainstream". They are slightly eccentric, not struck in a collar and apparently, the die was too small for the flan. The metal is quite thin and light. The brass penny is 2.6 grams, the aluminium half threepence is 0.9 grams. Note the different numbers one in the denomination. I suspect they came from separate punches. I think these tokens were locally made.

See also this post.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 05:06:54 PM by Figleaf »