Author Topic: UK local transportation tokens  (Read 88911 times)

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
Re: UK local transportation tokens
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2012, 10:17:31 PM »
The 1990 Smith and Smith catalogue also includes a twopence dark blue token and a twopence blue token. This may be the same token with a different exposure to the elements.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2012, 10:58:08 PM »
Thank you, Kushi. I am having a hard time findin a catalogue of UK transportation tokens.

Here is Wolverhampton. Black resin, 1.2 grams, 25.0 mm, one-sided.

Peter

Edit: 4 denominations added.
Edit: penny added.
Edit: 6 pence added
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:22:09 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2012, 10:59:08 AM »
Air force blue plastic, 22 mm. Which town, city, borough or corporation uses these arms? I think I see a castle with a large central tower flanked by two smaller towers.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 02:27:38 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2012, 11:44:13 AM »
This token shows Bury's old arms, but it is difficult to see. It is 22.1 mm, 1.0 gram.

Peter

Added halfpenny and tuppence. Tokens are of a darker shade in reality.
Added 1 ˝ penny black. Picture is lightened.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:26:39 PM by Figleaf »

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2012, 11:52:24 AM »
Closest I've got so far is Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire:

... but it's not that close. The supporters on your token look more like horses or deer than lions, for a start.

BTW this heraldry site will probably be useful in identifying obsolete borough arms on transport tokens, if you don't know about it already.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
No cigar yet. The castle (or city wall) with three towers is a common symbol on medieval coins and I don't see water below the castle on the token. I think the supporters are panthers, but supporters are more flexible than heraldic symbols on the shield. The arms are possibly no longer in use.

I checked the arms of the issuing authorities on the black and blue pennies listed in "tram and bus tokens of the British Isles".

Peter

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
looks very similar to Wigan,Lancashire ?  now obsolete with the new arms being completely different

Wigan's old arms were granted on April 28, 1922, but were based on earlier seals and devices.
The crowned castle, king's head and couchant lion all come from ancient seals. The supporters are royal lions, made distinctive by holding branches of the rowan or Wiggin tree, a pun on the town's name.

The motto - ANCIENT AND LOYAL - refers to the antiquity and history of the Borough.
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »
Bingo! Thanks, capn.

Peter

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2012, 03:41:47 PM »
Could be a tram rather than bus token, hard to be sure how old the token is being plastic.
Here is a list of all UK Civic heraldry

http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk/a-z.html#top
Vic

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »
 Here is a nice condition green 4d from Wigan on which you can read the motto 'Ancient and Loyal' on the ribbon at the base of the arms along with another blue 1d.

I believe the Wigan tokens were all tramway issues.

I notice the 1d reverse is quite different to  that shown above in reply 70.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2012, 11:59:13 PM »
The following two are a whole new strain of thought. Rather than NATIONAL TRANSPORT TOKEN, the legend has become BUS TOKEN. To make sure you grasp that they are not national tokens, a name is added, the district of Wyre and the town of Carlisle. Is the national system falling apart?

Both tokens are aluminium, the 10p is 31.0 mm, 3.0 grammes, the 2 p is 25.7 mm, 2.0 grammes. Both sides are the same.

Peter

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS ˇ UK
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2012, 12:52:26 AM »
The following two are a whole new strain of thought. Rather than NATIONAL TRANSPORT TOKEN, the legend has become BUS TOKEN. To make sure you grasp that they are not national tokens, a name is added, the district of Wyre and the town of Carlisle. Is the national system falling apart?[/url]

These actually predate the national system, first we had metal tokens in the 30's, moving to plastic by the 60's (though some persisted until as recently as 2005), then these aluminium one's from the early 70's. The National tokens came next and are still in use  :)
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

translateltd

« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2012, 06:01:25 AM »
Here is a nice series from Newcastle. The colours are brighter in reality, but in this way, the lettering is more legible. All tokens have the coat of arms. Note the placement of the dot below the D on the value side. Diameters vary between 21.8 and 22.6 mm.

Very belatedly, my selection of Newcastle Corporation Tramways tokens, picked up at various markets on a trip "home" in 1997: a couple of different denominations to those illustrated by Peter, and my 5d seems a much deeper pink and the penny quite a dark purple.

Hmm, we don't seem to have a thread on New Zealand milk tokens yet ...

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2012, 07:01:52 AM »
Very belatedly, my selection of Newcastle Corporation Tramways tokens, picked up at various markets on a trip "home" in 1997: a couple of different denominations to those illustrated by Peter, and my 5d seems a much deeper pink and the penny quite a dark purple.

I think my 5d may be an even darker shade of pink. I have a few but none that are not listed already.
Hmm, we don't seem to have a thread on New Zealand milk tokens yet ...

This will be your province,  ;D I don't have any and I see there are only eleven listed in Smith & Smith; nearly all of which they rate as scarce and command a decent price.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2012, 11:42:50 PM »
Berkshire, 5p, yellow plastic. Seventies? 26 mm.

Added 25 p.
Added 10 p.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 06:33:17 PM by Figleaf »