Author Topic: Falus 1041 AH Qazvin  (Read 3668 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Falus 1041 AH Qazvin
« on: April 12, 2012, 02:08:45 AM »
Members of the French language Numismatique forum have not succeeded in identifying this coin. They are copper, 23-24 mm and they were acquired in Iran. The original thread is here. If you want to see bigger pictures, go there and click on the illustrations.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 02:05:32 PM by saro »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Paris

• liaison officer
    • French-speaking coin forum
Re: Two more Persian (?) coppers
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 04:33:10 PM »
Absolutely no idea ?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:54:17 PM by Paris »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 04:35:25 PM »
I think the upper one is Afghan or maybe Iranian with a Phoenix design...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 11:25:11 PM »
Improved images at the right orientation, both coins seem to have similar legends? the other sides are too poor to read
Vic

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:39:02 PM »
looks like this one has drawn a blank, ???  apart from RY41 & what looks like 'falus' ?, the 'hooked' end to the letter S? seems to be unusual & might be characteristic of somewhere, If RY41 is the actual year of reign & not fictitious then that is a long time & most Afghan & Iranian kings were lucky to see 10 years or less
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:02:02 PM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 11:42:13 PM »
I suppose we won't get much beyond this. A reign of 41 years is indeed pretty long in a period when total life expectancy was lower than that, but maybe it's not a regnal year. Thanks for trying so hard, capn.

Peter

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »
As noticed by Capnbirdseye, we can read "zarb falus..41" on both coins, the mintname is over, off on the 1st coin and on the 2nd it seems to end with .."in" , I suggest Qazvin? (only a suggestion of course)
In front of 41 a dot may indicates 1041??
In addition, the coins seems to be made of folded sheets of copper as for some afghan coppers.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 11:05:26 AM »
It looks like two dots, one above the other in front of 41, I see what you mean about being folded, it also look similar to casting sprues but I doubt they are cast
Vic
Vic

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 12:04:41 PM »
Yes Capn, you are right, there is better  2 dots than a single one : ? may be the end of a date? (1041), 1141, 1241 ??
According to the "folded copper sheets", I think that recently on WoC, it has been spoken about this technique used by few mints in Afghanistan (Qandahar mainly) but coins were struck and not and not cast; judging only from the scans, here we have the same for iranian coins.

Offline Paris

• liaison officer
    • French-speaking coin forum
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 03:54:07 PM »
Thank you all !

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 02:59:02 PM »
I think the upper one is Afghan or may be Iranian with a Phoenix design...
Peter
I have today these coins in hands and I think that Peter is right  :applause: : it isn't very clear but It seems that is the "man-bird" Farvahar , the symbol of Zoroastrianism. (these coins were purchased 15 years ago at Yazd... one of the main cities of Zoroastrian; the mintname which looks like "Qazvin" could be"Yazd ?
I can also confirm that these coins are made of a folded copper sheet  as some afghan coins and that the date is 1041 AH, they could have been struck over old afghan fulus (of Qandahar may be?)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 02:47:29 PM by saro »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 03:26:01 PM »
My guess was just that. A guess. Happy to hear the coins are now in your hands. I have no doubt they will be studied further...

Peter

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 05:25:39 PM »
I have no doubt they will be studied further...
Peter
A coin with a similar design type is illustrated p.18 in "Persian Copper Coins" (B.Alaedini ), with its full mintname: "Yazd", as evocated in this thread (here a very little part of the mintname is present at top).
This last coin isn't dated and described as an "angel with a flask in right hand" (right on picture but left hand if the angel is facing...)
The "flask" is surprising... but this "guardian angel" could well be related with Farvahar, who holds a ring in his right hand (the ring of Promise)  ???
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 02:10:34 PM by saro »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Falus 1041 AH Qazvin
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 10:33:31 AM »
One more piece of history. Good solution for our French friends also.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 11:28:41 PM by saro »

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 04:40:33 PM »
the 'hooked' end to the letter S? seems to be unusual & might be characteristic of somewhere

I come back to this old thread about the apt remark of Vic  :bow: ...the hook at the end of "falus"  (similar to  Faravahar's design represented on the obverse) is seen on some Qazvin coppers.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 11:35:34 PM by saro »