Author Topic: Egypt circulating coinage  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Thruster853

Egypt circulating coinage
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:52:20 PM »
I have in my collection examples of the 1972 1 and 1973 5 milliemes with the falcon obverse. Does anyone know whether these actually saw circulation, and what was their purpose? They could hardly have had any purchasing power, and must have been virtually worthless. The only thing I can think of is for giving change for postage stamps.

When I visited Egypt in the mid-80's I found very few coins of any kind in circulation, just the odd 5 and 10 piastres of 1967-72, and the 2 piastres of 1980. I never saw the large 1980 20pt, and even asking in shops etc could not find a single example of it there. Did that coin ever see much circulation?

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
Re: Egypt circulating coinage
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 12:06:52 AM »
Lucky that you found some coins - last time I was there (2005) I didn't see a single one, just lots of grubby banknotes.

The 1973 5 Milliemes is a mule - so is a mint error - it is reasonable to assume that they didn't see much circulation.  The 1972 5 Milliemes I actually found harder to get - mine has certainly seen some circulation, so perhaps the 1973 FAO coins did too...
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Thruster853

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 01:12:34 AM »
Thank you very much.

Its interesting you mention the lack of circulating coins in more recent times - I have asked friends who have visited Egypt to bring back a coin or two and all but one came back empty handed, saying there were only ragged banknotes.

I didn't realise the 1973 5 milliemes is a mule. What is it muled with? I have the Al Aswan dam 5 milliemes of the same date as well. I always wondered why they issued 2 coins of the same denomination in different metals in the same year; now I know.

I have a mule of a 1975 Nefertiti 5 milliemes with the reverse of the 1973 coin. Is this a "double mule" then?

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Egypt circulating coinage
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:01:49 AM »
Interestingly, one of my college friend who visited Egypt last year brought back a decent number of Egyptian coins (won't say many) including the bimetallic one pound coin.

Another friend of mine gave me some 3-4 Egyptian coins almost year back when her father was on Business trip to Egypt. He was about to dump them somewhere when she took them away from him for me. :D One of the coin given to me was again the bimetallic one pound.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 07:25:23 PM »
I didn't realise the 1973 5 milliemes is a mule. What is it muled with? I have the Al Aswan dam 5 milliemes of the same date as well. I always wondered why they issued 2 coins of the same denomination in different metals in the same year; now I know.

I may have jumped to a wrong conclusion, the 1973 Aluminium coin with the falcon is a mule - it's the FAO 5 Milliemes 1973 muled with the standard 1972 5 Milliemes.  The 1973 Brass 5 Milliemes I presume was a general circulation coin.

May 2005 was pre the relaunch of coins in Egypt - it wasn't until sometime around September that the 2005 Pounds and 50 Piastres appeared on the market.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Thruster853

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:39:51 AM »
Thank you for your responses to this subject.

I am still mystified by the 1980 20pt; its a very handsome large coin although it would appear to have seen little circulation. Perhaps it was one of those coins that never "caught on" with the public. They issued a smaller 20pt denomination in 1984, so perhaps the 1980 pieces were quietly withdrawn then.

Regarding the very small value 1, 5, and 10 millieme denominations, I have a copy of the Egyptian Railways timetable from 1976, which gives quite a few fees and charges in mills, e.g. left luggage "20 mills per parcel per day", and porters' tariffs 25 mills and 15 mills for each additional item "from the train to the front of station".  So perhaps they were prediminantly used on the public transport network.