Pudukkottai, 1 Amman Cash, 1902 (Martanda Bhairava, 1886-1929)

Started by Overlord, March 19, 2008, 05:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overlord

Cute little coins. I wonder if people often lost them in their pockets  :)

Obverse Seated figure of Brahadambha (Godess Parvati)

Reverse Vijaya (in Telugu)

Figleaf

My guess is the people who used these coins (happy to see yours are circulated, my single copy has not circulated, so I had a doubt) didn't have any pockets. Maybe they were stored in pouches to be put in their loincloth and you had to be veeeery careful sitting down...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

That's a Lungi, as in sarong, not a loin cloth.  And, because of the way it is worn, you have to be careful sitting down for modesty's sake. But I think that a skilled wearer of the lungi can use the top folds to hid a purse quite successfully. When I tried it, the folds would unravel and present me with opportunities to amuse others.
richie

Figleaf

:D Blessed are those who know so well how to amuse others. :D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Overlord,
  I have got one of these coins,which I bought off a dealer in Australia late last year for NZ$2! This is the 'common' version of the coin.There is also a hammered version of this coin,which is also listed as 'common',but also never seems to turn up.

The Amman Cash was rated at 1/20 Anna according to the pre-1947 Indian way of reckoning against the Rupee.

Aidan.

Overlord

Quote from: BC Numismatics on June 19, 2008, 01:37:15 AM
Overlord,
  I have got one of these coins,which I bought off a dealer in Australia late last year for NZ$2! This is the 'common' version of the coin.There is also a hammered version of this coin,which is also listed as 'common',but also never seems to turn up.

The Amman Cash was rated at 1/20 Anna according to the pre-1947 Indian way of reckoning against the Rupee.

Aidan.
Thanks for the info, Aidan.

Rangnath

Oesho wrote the following:

Attached three examples of the handstruck Amman cash of Pudukkottai.
The weights are respectively, 1.56, 1.37 and 0.91 g.
The Tamil inscription on the reverse reads Vi-ja/ya (Victory)

Figleaf

There you are. You ask for a picture, you get a collection with a major variety. Thanks, Oesho. They made my day.

Peter

Rangnath

Oh, for a pocket full of change like these!  They are wonderful examples Oesho.  Thank you for posting them.
richie

Quant.Geek

Quote from: Rangnath on November 10, 2008, 05:07:19 PM
Oesho wrote the following:

Attached three examples of the handstruck Amman cash of Pudukkottai.
The weights are respectively, 1.56, 1.37 and 0.91 g.
The Tamil inscription on the reverse reads Vi-ja/ya (Victory)

The inscription is NOT Tamil, but Kannada ;)

ವಿ ಜ ಯ
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins