News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Denmark, 1 skilling 1729, KM 520

Started by capnbirdseye, June 26, 2012, 12:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

Another little coin from my tin to identify,   weight  0.69g    15mm
Vic

FosseWay

Pretty sure that's Danish, as the monogram looks like that of Frederik IV (reigned 1699-1730). However, I can't match it to anything in KM and I don't have any resource more specific for Danish coins.

The 18th century KM volume is very light on copper coins of Denmark, listing only the half-skilling (of which there's no picture, but neither the date nor the description match). I've checked Holstein, Slesvig etc. as well with no luck. I suspect this is one of the holes in KM's coverage.

FosseWay

... but I was only looking at *copper* in KM, which was silly of me.

Your coin does match the description of the 1 skilling (KM 520) with the obvious and significant difference that the 1 sk should be silver. Is this a contemporary forgery?

BTW I suspect it's 1720 rather than 1729.

capnbirdseye

Thank you Fosseway,

LOL,  I just gave the coin a light rub & it's silver  ::)  I was convinced it was copper!  I'll redo the photo with it lightly cleaned

Vic

EDIT: Here is a lightly rubbed version which shows silver under the grime, it wants cleaning properly I suppose

Under a glass the date is definitely 1729
Vic

FosseWay

1729 isn't recorded in KM, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, of course.

Figleaf

If it's just grime, washing with liquid soap should help, followed if necessary by the wooden toothpick treatment. It looks like there's a very decent coin underneath.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Globetrotter

or put it into the ultrasound cleaner! It works, if you have one, that is.

Don't forget to look into Norway for that coin, if you cannot find it under Denmark, DK and NO were ruled by same king in those days.

Regards