Jodhpur State Takka

Started by Bookworm, March 10, 2008, 07:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bookworm

Does anyone know what this coin might be? The person I got it from told me it was indian, but gave no specifics. It's about 20 mm in diameter, 8 mm thick(!), weights 20.91 grams.

Aldo

Rangnath

hi Aldo,
Yes, it is Indian, though I think that the reverse should look like this.
richie

Bookworm

Thanks, Richie. It's hard to tell, when you can't read the alphabet...
Do you have any idea of what it may be? And what about that gash? Is that normal, or just the result of a nasty accident?

Aldo

Rangnath

Aldo,
The hunt is on. 
If Oesho returns to the site, he will solve this one in 10 second.
In the mean time, perhaps someone else can help us:  Shariq or Overlord?
I'll keep looking when I have time, when my dog comes out of surgery, when my car starts again, when I see Mr. Godot. Probably tomorrow.
It is a heavy coin; 2 paisa?  a half anna? 2 Takka?
The gash looks like accidental damage to me.  But I never saw a 20 gram copper that I didn't love madly.
richie

Rangnath

Still nothing definite.
Jodhpur minted paisas of that weight between 1752 and 1792, with a similar border.  On those coins the reynal year was in hommage to Shah Alam as was the inscription. Could yours have a reynal year of 20?  Could yours have been minted in the name of Shah Alam II, the Moghul emperor in Delhi? 

Richie

Figleaf

I can't see a 20, but I do see a 5-petalled flower that may well be a mintmark.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oesho

The coin is a Takka of Jodhpur State. It was struck at Jodhpur city in the name of Queen Victoria, during the reign of Jaswant Singh. The coin is date VS.194x (to the right of the star).
The legend on these Takkas read: Ba-Zaman Mubarak Sanah (date) Kwin Voctoria Malikah / Muazam Inglistan wa Hindustan, Zarb Jodhpur.

Figleaf

Oesho struck again! Great determination. As much cannot be said for KM, which doesn't mention any Jaswant Singh copper coins. Yeoman does, but calls them paisa (Y#5). Intriguingly, Yeoman pictures a coin with a similar gash across it, which makes me wonder whether the gash could not be an (official?) test mark for the quality of the copper, rather than mere damage.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oesho

Hello Peter,
KM is often drifting about, due to different contributors which are often contradicting each other. This coin is KM#72, but listed under Takht Singh, but if you see the VS-dates listed it is obvious they should be listed under Takht Singh's successor Jaswant Singh.

You're referring to Yeoman. Which edition you're using? In the latest 14th ed. (revised and Edited by Arthur L. Friedberg) the description (p.258) is corrected and called a Takka (Y#5).
The chisel-mark on the coins might be just incidental. None of the coins of this type in my collection have it.

Figleaf

Makes sense, I am using the 13th edition. I didn't even know there was a 14th edition. I very much agree on KM...

Peter

Oesho

I can understand that you weren't aware of the new 14th edition of Yeoman, as it was just published this year.

Bookworm

Quote from: Rangnath on March 10, 2008, 11:23:04 PM
If Oesho returns to the site, he will solve this one in 10 second.

Thanks, Oesho. Did it realy take 10 seconds?  :)
Richie, Peter, thanks a lot for your efforts.

Aldo

Oesho

The attribution is mostly instantly made, but the details, data and in this case retrieving the drawing from my records took slightly more time. Moreover those Jodhpur takkas turn-up very regularly.