Author Topic: China, T'ai-ping (976-984). Remmelts 20  (Read 7009 times)

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
China, T'ai-ping (976-984). Remmelts 20
« on: March 08, 2008, 10:20:46 AM »
Some time ago I received a "set" of coins, glued (o horror!) to a cardboard with the identification written in handwriting. I don't know anything about this kind of coins, perhaps they are real, perhaps they are fake. I'll post them apart, together with the "attribution". They are all uniface.
Any comment is welcome!

Bart

first coin : Thai Binh 1054-1058
size: 19 mm

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 11:10:39 PM by Quant.Geek »

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Re: "Vietnamese Old Coins" / Thai Binh 1054-1058 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 06:06:05 PM »
I'll have time to look at these more closely later in the day. 
I've used acitone to remove glue from coins with great luck.  The chemical does not seem to interact with the metal (brass, copper, silver), but sure does remove paint, and sticky stuff. 

I have great respect for the toxicity of acitone.  I used a very small sealable metal container (an old film cannister), placed the coins in it, covered it with acitone, sealed the container and left it for 30 minutes.  I made sure not to get the acitone on my skin:  it is a proven cause of bladder cancer among other nasties.  I removed the coins with chop sticks. 

If you already knew about this treatment, forgive me for mentioning it.

I did hear someone say (was it Bruce?) that after the acitone bath, they give their coin a distilled water bath for a few days.  I have not done that, but I should mention it.

I also might add that the coins that I treated in this way were given to me glued on cardboard and paper.  They had been sold in this way in Thailand and in Myanmar.
richie

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 06:51:38 PM »
Thanks for your comments, Richie!

As for the glue, I treat them also very careful with acitone, and I lay them in distilled water for some time to rinse every bit of acitone away. I am quite careful, as those coins are very fragil. I once received a genuine 18th century phang, which was broken in its holder. I don't know if these coins are genuine, but they sure are fragile.

This set was acquired in Vietnam, and the attributions are handwritten. I'll send you a picture of the cardboard in the way I received them. I wanted to post the picture, but it is too heavy, and I don't know how the reduce it.

Bart

translateltd

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 07:09:41 PM »
The character readings sound right, though I haven't checked the dates - Google will doubtless help with that. 19mm sounds rather small, though.  I would have expected 25mm or so, although of course smaller "cash" (presumably "van" in Vietnamese) coins are known.

The reading would be "Tai Ping" in Chinese (Taihei in Japanese), so Thai Binh sounds logical in Vietnamese - I have some experience in comparative linguistics :-)

Martin
NZ

Some time ago I received a "set" of coins, glued (o horror!) to a cardboard with the identification written in handwriting. I don't know anything about this kind of coins, perhaps they are real, perhaps they are fake. I'll post them apart, together with the "attribution". They are all uniface.
Any comment is welcome!

Bart

first coin : Thai Binh 1054-1058
size: 19 mm

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 07:47:50 PM »
Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot for the explanation of the reading of my 6 coins. At least I know the interpretation of the characters on most of these coins was right.
As I explained: I really know nothing about this kind of coins, so I am grateful for every piece of added knowledge.

Thanks a lot!

Bart

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 08:14:24 PM »
"I wanted to post the picture, but it is too heavy, and I don't know how the reduce it."

Bart,
Sorry to have gone on about cleaning: that was something you most likely know much more than I!

As for reducing file sizes, that is something quite easy for me to do.  If you like, any time, send me the file as an attachment to Rangnath@aol.com and I'll post it for you.

Martin, you are AMAZING! And thought "tai ping" was what I do on a key board!  ;D 

As far as I know, "van" coins are readable on both sides.  The Phan appears to be unifaced only.  I wonder if there are any exceptions to this?
richie

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 09:04:15 PM »
@Richie,

I've sent the picture. Thanks for reducing it.

Bart

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 11:52:23 PM »
I placed it above Bart. Hope that is OK with you.
And any time you wish a file altered, that would be my pleasure!

richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 12:46:03 AM »
I'd never have found this one without the help of translateltd. This is a coin in the name of emperor T'ai-tsung. T'ai-ping t'ung pao (976-984). Remmelts 20.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 12:52:36 AM »
I discovered once with some other old Vietnamese coins a  secondary problem.  At least to my eyes, there may well be a very similar Chinese coin with the same characters but from a different century.  Do you, Bart or Martin know anything about that?
richie

andyg

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 12:55:55 AM »
richie,  try this rather excellent website

Offline weepio

• The last Emperor
Re: China, T'ai-ping (976-984). Remmelts 20
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 02:26:46 PM »
Could all easily be in fact Vietnamese coins, it's not my speciality.