News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Bimetallic Coins: Fractional Denominations

Started by Bimat, February 11, 2012, 03:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

New Zealand 50 Cents.

Not as common as 'normal' bimetallic coins. ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Prosit

So what is the smallest denomination most worthless bimetallic coin in the world?  Seems bimetallics usually are for the more valuable denominations...

Dale

Bimat

Quote from: Prosit on February 11, 2012, 04:18:01 PM
So what is the smallest denomination most worthless bimetallic coin in the world?  Seems bimetallics usually are for the more valuable denominations...

Zimbabwean $5?

Aditya

augsburger

Figleaf

I find calling chocolate a metal unacceptable, though it may be the case in China :) So far, my worst experience with chocolate was on Moscow airport, though. :-X

Anyway, the face value of the Zimbabwean coin is far less.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Bimat

SquareEarth

Bimetallic coins have a much older history then I first thought of.

1792 US cent
Silver centered cent.
Tong Bao_Tsuho_Tong Bo_Thong Bao

FosseWay

They're even older than that - here's an English tin farthing with copper centre from 1684 (the date is on the edge). Picture from Tony Clayton's site.

chrisild

Of course bimetallic issues are not a recent "invention". But in my opinion those early examples, whether ancient Roman tokens or later trial (and similarly short lived) pieces, are still different as they did not establish any kind of "continuity". It was the Italian 500 lire coin, first issued a little more than 30 years ago, that ultimately brought the change, in the sense that bimetallic coins have been in use since then ... But I agree, lower denominations tend to have one metal - or rather color - only, because the issue of counterfeited coins is not that relevant in those cases.

Christian

<k>

Sierra Leone, 25 cents, 2022.

Sierra Leone, 50 cents, 2022.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

chrisild

By the way, I wondered why the person on the 25c coin has "glasses only" while on the 50c piece you see eyes behind the glasses. The simple reason – and I did not know that – is that Bassie Sorie Kondi is blind. Some background is here for example, also about the "thumb piano" he plays.

See this topic too. Also interesting: Unlike the other musicians in that coin series, Bassie Sorie Kondi is alive – and has never been asked whether he would like to appear on coins. ::)

<k>

Quote from: chrisild on January 31, 2023, 02:03:29 PMI wondered why the person on the 25c coin has "glasses only" while on the 50c piece you see eyes behind the glasses. The simple reason – and I did not know that – is that Bassie Sorie Kondi is blind.

Now some will ask whether that is a respectful way to portray blind persons. Most of them do after all have eyes.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.