News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Croatia issues Rudjer Boskovic commemorative at record price

Started by natko, January 30, 2012, 11:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

natko

Decent occasions are lacking from circulation commemoratives since millenium turnout, but silver proofs do (sometimes) commemorate really important ones. This time, Croatian National Bank issued crown sized silver proof commemorating 300th Anniversary of Rudjer Boskovic birth.
http://hnb.hr/numiz/zla-sre/ruder-boskovic/e-boskovic.htm

I didn't wine on prices so far, at beginning they were sold at FV + 30% luxury tax, then they decided to put VAT on them, raised base prices retroactively for all unsold issues, but for last few years it settled at 240knfor 150kn pieces(24g) and 280 for 200 kn(33,63g), plus VAT, which makes price at 40€ and 46€ for latter. Not cheap, but not excessive, like we see in Finland for instance (They call it Rahastuspaja or something like that - Thief mint)

New issue is the first 200 kuna since 2000., and although it follows technical characteristics of earlier issues, it costs 416kn+VAT, which is 68,2 euros! Will cost exactly 70 euros from 1.3. when our VAT goes to 25%.

What I fear is they revise prices for all past issues, that haven't been sold :pukingemoticon:

Issue is fairly big for Croatian proofs, 5000 pcs, so I assume they should lower price (which never happened) if they want to sell more than 500-1000 pieces (doubt more people collect those proofs, in country of 4,5 million). Also, in several years it might be able to get it on local auctions below issue price, which so far was science fiction. Mostly sold issues are appearing for 75-100euros)

Also, as of obvious reasons I'm not going to rush and buy it...bloody thieves!

Figleaf

That's how economics works. Set the price too high and stuff doesn't sell, too low and you don't have enough. Trial and (mostly) error says what to do. Except that civil servants never admit to be wrong on anything, so they'd rather melt than lower the price.

When you are 100 years old, will you be sorry you didn't buy this at that price? Or will you have moved on, maybe back in history? There are plenty of nice, genuine coins with historical significance you can buy for €70...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

natko

If only they made it in like 300 pieces to justify that price with extra low mintage. And yes, you can (with a bit of luck) buy common, 200 years old Austro-Hungarian thaler in XF for that price.