News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Collecting Euro Coins

Started by kena, January 24, 2012, 04:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kena

My friend says thanks for the information.

All this kinda makes me glad I did not collecting Euro coins.

I have managed to acquire a few and would not mind have one of the 2012 2 Euro coins.

Ken

Bimat

Quote from: kena on January 24, 2012, 04:42:55 PM
All this kinda makes me glad I did not collecting Euro coins.
Well, those expensive 'coins' from SM, Vatican and Monaco are really not coins..depends on how do you define it..Some collectors collect them, so do not. Fortunately, the euro coins from the 17 EU member countries are relatively easy to find and most of them are still affordable..And since there's no rule which says that you must collect euro coins from 3 non EU nations if you are euro coins' collector, you can skip those three are collect from rest 17 countries.. :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

chrisild

Quote from: Bimat on January 24, 2012, 05:39:26 PM
Well, those expensive 'coins' from SM, Vatican and Monaco are really not coins..depends on how do you define it

In fact, some euro collectors focus on the coins from the euro area member states. Can be explained "politically", as the three (or four if you include Andorra, as from next year) are not EU countries. But of course it also saves you a lot of money, hehe.

Those "non-EU but euro" countries do issue coins at face. However, they did not really do that in the first years, and what they issue now is selected denominations only. Are those pieces "coins"? Try the cashier test: Pay with a €2 coin from San Marino - I bet hardly anybody would even say a word. Now pay with one of those oddball denominations of the regional money. Even if you got it at face, and happen to be in the issuing member state (where such pieces are legal tender), checking out will definitely take a few extra seconds. At the very least.

As for who collects what ... hmm, why would I care? Or let's put it this way: Nobody tells me what I "should" collect, and I will not tell anybody what s/he "ought to" collect. :)

andyg

Quote from: chrisild on January 24, 2012, 07:55:48 PM

As for who collects what ... hmm, why would I care? Or let's put it this way: Nobody tells me what I "should" collect, and I will not tell anybody what s/he "ought to" collect. :)

Back when the Euro started, I was collecting the different types from the local dealer - a fellow customer in the shop commented "What are you collecting those for - they'll never be worth anything"

I was under the impression (maybe wrongly) that some of the early Monaco / San Marino (2001/2002) coins could be bought for face value?  Even if that was the case I doubt they circulated much....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

I think some coins of all denominations were released in Monaco early on, but their life cycle as circulation coins must have been shorter than that of a proton at CERN :) In later years, there may have been some 1 and 2 euro coins issued for circulation in Monaco, judging from what is offered for sale. I stayed in Monaco almost every other year since introduction, but never spoke to anyone who'd actually gotten them from circulation.

Early San Marino sets were not too difficult to get if you live in Italy, it seems. Got one from a trader and was offered several more. I was shocked to see the asking price today. I am slowly getting the "new map" series together with single coins, but so far, they came from traders only.

Vatican coins are packaged only, it seems. There should be raw 50 cent coins available, but they probably look like hen's teeth.

Peter

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

kena

My comments were not knocking anyone from being a collector, since I agree you should collect what makes you happy.

What I don't like is the practice of either not for circulation and\or limited circulation releases of base metal coins.

I have always believed that you should be able to obtain from circulation a full set of coins intended for circulation for the current year and some of the previous years. 

How else are we going to get kids interested in coin collecting?  Not by having them having to get overpriced stuff from the mints.

Now I do understand that some of these countries are very small and can't justify large mintages.

So is this an issue you need to buy them when first released and later they will go up in price?

Remember, I don't know alot about Euro coins and have not been to an of the Euro countries since they started using the Euro.

Ken

paisepagal

I was hoping in 2002 to get a couple of sets of the vatican euros, one to gift to my grand aunt who is a nun based in Mysore. Unfortunately, the sets were simply too hard to get...let alone the sky rocket price at the time. 

gerard974

hello
I have a friend who live from Monaco and he dont collect coins ,in 2002 when the euros is minted from Monaco is easy to have the starter kits and after already impossible to have one coin. If you are inscribe at "musée des timbres et des monnaies" you can to have some but no circulation coins just BU and BE ,i dont know where the circulation coins going . i have ask at Is mother who have a big hotel if is possible to have with his bank and is not possible .After if you go to the numismatic shop at Monaco you can to have all that you want "no at facial value".
You are just a coins collector you have nothing but if you are a great dealer you have the number that you want
After to have read my english take one Aspirine for your head
best regards  Gerard

paisepagal

Quote from: gerard974 on January 25, 2012, 12:23:51 PM
hello
I have a friend who live from Monaco and he dont collect coins ,in 2002 when the euros is minted from Monaco is easy to have the starter kits and after already impossible to have one coin. If you are inscribe at "musée des timbres et des monnaies" you can to have some but no circulation coins just BU and BE ,i dont know where the circulation coins going . i have ask at Is mother who have a big hotel if is possible to have with his bank and is not possible .After if you go to the numismatic shop at Monaco you can to have all that you want "no at facial value".
You are just a coins collector you have nothing but if you are a great dealer you have the number that you want
After to have read my english take one Aspirine for your head
best regards  Gerard

Salut Gérard, oui je pense que je dois prendre un aspirin lol  ;D je comprend pas totalement ce que tu viens de dire dans ton dernier post... pê tu peux écrire aussi en français et quelques de nous peuvent traduire ?

gerard974

Quote from: paisepagal on January 25, 2012, 12:29:04 PM
Salut Gérard, oui je pense que je dois prendre un aspirin lol  ;D je comprend pas totalement ce que tu viens de dire dans ton dernier post... pê tu peux écrire aussi en français et quelques de nous peuvent traduire ?
bonjour
merci bien car c'est plus facile pour moi . Je disais que j'ai un ami qui habite Monaco ,mais qui ne collectionne pas les pieces de monnaie. Lorsque les euros sont sortis en 2002 a Monaco il etait tres facile de se procurer des starters kits ,il en a acheté un grand nombre et il s'est payé des voyages avec l'argent retiré.Si vous etes inscrit au musée des timbres et des monnaies vous pouvez avoir toutes les pieces emises mais bien sur pas a la valeur faciale,et rien que des BU et BE,c'est a se demander ou les frappes de circulation passent. Pour exemple sa mere tenait un grand hotel a Monaco toujours et je lui ai demandé si avec son banquier elle pouvait en avoir ,cela n'a pas été possible car il n'en avait pas.Par contre si vous allez chez un numismate vous pouvez avoir tout ce que vous voulez aussi.Une responsable de caisse dans un super marché a qui j'ai demandé si il etait possible d'en avoir m'a dit n'avoir jamais vu un rouleau de Monaco arriver mais dans du vrac elle ne sait Pas.
voila tout ce que je peux dire
cordialement et merci a celui qui traduira  Gerard

paisepagal

Quote from: gerard974 on January 25, 2012, 12:51:52 PM
bonjour
merci bien car c'est plus facile pour moi . Je disais que j'ai un ami qui habite Monaco ,mais qui ne collectionne pas les pieces de monnaie. Lorsque les euros sont sortis en 2002 a Monaco il etait tres facile de se procurer des starters kits ,il en a acheté un grand nombre et il s'est payé des voyages avec l'argent retiré.Si vous etes inscrit au musée des timbres et des monnaies vous pouvez avoir toutes les pieces emises mais bien sur pas a la valeur faciale,et rien que des BU et BE,c'est a se demander ou les frappes de circulation passent. Pour exemple sa mere tenait un grand hotel a Monaco toujours et je lui ai demandé si avec son banquier elle pouvait en avoir ,cela n'a pas été possible car il n'en avait pas.Par contre si vous allez chez un numismate vous pouvez avoir tout ce que vous voulez aussi.Une responsable de caisse dans un super marché a qui j'ai demandé si il etait possible d'en avoir m'a dit n'avoir jamais vu un rouleau de Monaco arriver mais dans du vrac elle ne sait Pas.
voila tout ce que je peux dire
cordialement et merci a celui qui traduira  Gerard

Voilà :)
Thanks, that would be alot easier for me. I said that I have a friend who lives in Monaco, but he doesn't collect coins. When the euro was issued in 2002 in Monaco, it was very easy to get the starter kits. He bought alot of them and paid for his travels with the money earned from selling. If you are on the subscription list of the Stamp and currency Museum, you can get all the pieces issued so far, but not at face value - only BU & BE... I wonder where all the circulation struck pieces have disappeared to. For instance, (my friend's) mother owns a big hotel in monaco and I asked her to check with her bank if she could get any; no luck as the bank didn't have any. But if you go to a numismat/ dealer, you can get any that you want. I asked a cash counter clerk in a super market whether he could give me some and he told me he had never seen a monaco euro coin roll himself...however in loose change, he wasn't sure.  

gerard974

Merci bien a mon secretaire particulier pour la traduction,maintenant je dois voir a la fin du mois pour son salaire
Best regards  Gerard

kena

This is rather interesting.

What is a Euro starter kit?

So how do the coin dealers get them?

Is this a situation where collector can buy sets from the mint while individual coins to go dealers?

What is mean by BU and BE since I know BU is normally brilliant uncirculated.

Ken

gerard974

Hello Ken
The starter kit is a bag with some coins inside for that the people know the new coins ,look the link http://www.tresordupatrimoine.fr/2367-starter-kits
BU is brillant uncirculated ,the link
http://www.tresordupatrimoine.fr/2366-series-d-euros-brillant-universel
BE is belle epruve the link
http://www.tresordupatrimoine.fr/2365-series-d-euros-belle-epreuve-be
Best regards  Gerard

chrisild