Author Topic: Coins of Raja Raja Chola  (Read 12397 times)

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Re: Coins of Raja Raja Chola
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 02:48:21 AM »
I've returned from Chiapas, Mexico. Looking at this thread again is really satisfying!
I couldn't agree with you more Peter.  We human beings are such slow learners!
Another recurrent theme is the conflict of North versus South, isn't it? Southerners versus Northerners: whether the place is Viet Nam, Korea, the USA, or Sri Lanka. 
And in Sri Lanka, topography has it's impact. I visited the Island once, but I remember the striking difference between the South and the North.

The images of the coins are breath taking.  Thanks again Oesho.
richie

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Overlord's stamp and coin collection
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 01:20:23 PM »
Here are a few more from my collection. Oesho, thanks for helping me 'see' the seated king on the obverse.

From Oesho's description, I think all of them are mainland issues [except, probably, the last one---but then again, the crescent may have worn off or may be off the flan (I think a tiny bit of it can just be made out)].

Offline statmatics

• CoinQuest
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 08:38:15 PM »
Hello World of Coins (my first post) -- My name is Paul Richards and I run a web site that does coin appraisals. My site receives requests from the general public and I try to answer the usual 'what is my coin worth?' question of people who write in. Recently I received a request about Rajaraja Chola coins and I used this thread in an attempt to answer that question. Thanks! -- Two items: (1) I wonder if you agree with my answer to the Chola question, and (2) is it ok for me to use Rangnath's image of the gold coin? You can see my answer, which includes a reference to this thread, at this link === http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=12310 === Thanks, Paul Richards, Melbourne, Florida, USA

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 10:51:15 PM »
Actually the images of the gold coins were uploaded by Rangnath on behave of me, Oesho.
But you are welcome to use the images as long as you refer to the website from where you obtained the images from.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 11:00:35 PM »
Thanks for doing the right thing, Paul. So the reference to Rangnath on your page should be edited to Oesho.

Hint: you are referring to a silver coin image in your valuations, but illustrate copper and gold only.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 11:17:19 PM »
Pretty sure I posted one of these types but durn if I can find it.  Interesting coins.
Dale

Offline statmatics

• CoinQuest
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 03:36:10 AM »
Thanks, Oesho. The page is fixed. A lot of great people have released copyrights to CoinQuest. It makes the site worthwhile. It would be pretty boring without pictures! Oesho now appears on the copyright page ==== http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_action=copyright ==== Thanks again. Neat coins!

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coins of Raja Raja Chola
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 04:32:45 PM »
Oesho,

The coins you have in your collection (shown above) are incredible, as if they were struck just yesterday! :o How did (or where from) you obtained such nice specimens? One day, I'd like to hear about your journey as a coin collector. Must be very interesting! :)

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 10:07:06 PM »
Dear Aditya,
Believe or not, but most of the Ceylon gold coins came from an auction in Amsterdam in December 1999 and September 2000.
On that occasion a large collection of gold coins was auctioned, mostly Dutch and European gold coins, but there was also a nice collection of Ceylonese gold coins among it. As most people present came for the European gold, I was able to obtain 7 lots of the Ceylonese pieces, including the extremely rare kahavanu. The balance I (3 lots) I obtained at the next auction. Most of the coins of the above auctions can be observed on ZENO

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 12:19:30 AM »
Splendid collection as usual .

Combination of knowledge  , affordability  , availability & opportunity turns into such great collection.

Cheers ;D

Believe or not, but most of the Ceylon gold coins came from an auction in Amsterdam in December 1999 and September 2000.
On that occasion a large collection of gold coins was auctioned, mostly Dutch and European gold coins, but there was also a nice collection of Ceylonese gold coins among it. As most people present came for the European gold, I was able to obtain 7 lots of the Ceylonese pieces, including the extremely rare kahavanu. The balance I (3 lots) I obtained at the next auction. Most of the coins of the above auctions can be observed on ZENO

Deserve before you desire-Play to win but win with fairness-Winning without values provides dubious fulfillment.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »
As I start taking pictures of my coins, I figured I would start off with the Chola coins first.  I guess a nice way to show it, is to post it as "Chola through the ages".  Of course I have gaps (who doesn't  :)), so here is my pitch to anyone who want to sell some to me... Starting with Sangam-Age Cholas:

The following coins I have not been able to identify exactly in Mitchiner.  It is similar to MITCH-114, but there is another animal next to the elephant.  Here is the classification according to Mitch:

Sangam Chola (100-200AD)

Obv: Elephant standing left, flower vase above, plus ?parasol above
Rev: Chola tiger standing left, with one foot raised

I don't have any other book other than "A Catalogue of the Sangam Age Pandya and Chola Coins in the National Museum, Colombo, Sri Lanka", and its selection of Chola coins is very lacking.  Any help with the classification is  much appreciated.

The next coin is not mentioned in Mitchiner, but seems to be similar to Coin No. 3 in the Chola section of the aforementioned book.  Again, a correct attribution is much appreciated.

Sangam Chola (100-200AD)

Obv: Elephant standing left, above the elephant are some illegible symbols
Rev: Chola tiger standing left

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:59:42 PM by Quant.Geek »

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 01:09:30 PM »
Uttama Chola:

Mitchiner 324-329:

Obv: Tiger seated right, towards two upright fishes; bow and lamp behind; umbrella above
Rev: Devanagari - Uttama / Cholah

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:52:18 PM by Quant.Geek »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 02:46:17 PM »
Stunning state of conservation, QG. A super-thread made even better. Who'd have thunk it possible...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »
Sri Lankan, but available around the time of the Invasion of Sri Lanka by Raja Raja (990AD).  Note that Oesho has some amazing quality in his coins compared to the ones I have...

Aka (1/8 Kahavanu)- Jasmine flower and Chank (Type III)

Obv: Standing king facing with one hand raised and holding a Jasmin flower
Rev: Sankh shell above inscription: Daraka (or Uraka)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 04:17:55 PM »
Not as great as http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=40206, but still somewhat identifiable...Sri Lankan prior to the invasion of Raja Raja...

Pala (1/4 Kahavanu)

Obv: King standing, holding sankh shell; alter on right
Rev: Devanagari inscription - Lakshmi? or Kamka Ma