Author Topic: Unattributed Maratha (?) Paisa i.n.o Alamgir II, M/W T38  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Unattributed Maratha (?) Paisa i.n.o Alamgir II, M/W T38
« on: January 31, 2008, 01:42:25 AM »
It looks a little like a Maratha Confederacy paisa or a two paisa, but too little to be satisfying.  And the weight is wrong!  A Maratha paisa should weigh around what? 8.5 to 9.5 grams?  A do-dandi paisa weighs as much as 21 grams.  This coin weighs 12.9 grams and is 19.5 mm X 18 mm. 
There is a Gwalior coin that reminds me of this also, but it weighs 15 grams. 

Sometimes, weight matters. 
richie
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 04:17:06 AM by Overlord »

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Re: Where is this Paisa from?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 01:52:21 AM »
Another feature that seems unusual, is the flow of the shape from North South through the East West double line. 
richie

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 02:24:36 PM »
The name on the obverse seems to be Alamgir. It therefore seems to be a paisa of Shah Alamgir II.
Below there are parts of the the Bad Shah Ghazi legend.
On the reverse the normal Jalus / Maimanet / Manus legend. Any particular mintmark or a mint name is absent, so attribution will be very hard, unless a die-identical piece is found, showing some more details.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 05:55:47 PM »
Thanks Oesho. In fact, that is wonderful news! And
certainly with much more information than I thought I would recieve! 
Having the name of the ruler, I was able to locate this coin posted below. The information included was the following:
Large bronze dam of Alamgir II (1754-1759 AD), Moghul Empire

Persian inscriptions on both sides. Uncertain mint. 20x18mm, 14.7 grams. Krause-?

Excellent coin, very attractive, thick and heavy, much nicer than these usually are. Very rare this nice!

I find the last line quite amusing considering the vast number of Alamgir II dams that I have seen in the last 62 years!
richie

richie

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Moghul Dam of Emperor Alamgir II: 1754 to 1759 AD
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 09:12:33 PM »

Dear Richie, It's incredable that you found a die-identical piece, but still no mint name or particular symbol. To the left of the obverse there seems to some kind of a 'star'-mark. Perhaps one day we find other coins showing ddierent parts of the die. Your research has been spectacular.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 04:57:09 PM »
To me, these specimens seem to compare favourably to Maheshwari/Wiggins T38. For comparison, I am reproducing the entry below:

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 06:49:01 PM »
Dear Overlord, Well found, it seems to be exactly the same pice, but unfortunately (as no mint is shown), it still remains an unattributed coin.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Re: Unattributed Maratha (?) Paisa i.n.o Alamgir II, M/W T38
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 04:41:59 AM »
Fantastic!  It is so much fun being able to see the whole Legend. Thanks Oesho for your confirmation. And Overlord, thanks so much for including the illustration.
richie