News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Coins of Gibraltar

Started by BC Numismatics, September 06, 2008, 10:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BC Numismatics

Here's a section where we can have a discussion about the coins of Gibraltar.Please feel free to post up photos of your Gibraltarian coins.

Aidan.

africancoins

For some pictures I did a long time ago of some nice Gibraltar coins see...

http://www.wbcc.fsnet.co.uk/sub004b5.htm

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

BC Numismatics

Paul,
  I finally picked up a short set of the Gibraltarian 2004 Tercentenary coinage today.They are from the 1p. right up to the 1 Pound.It was unfortunate that the 2 Pounds from this coinage wasn't there.

Are you aware that Gibraltar issued a 2 Pound coin commemorating the Diamond Wedding of Queen Elizabeth II & Prince Philip?

Aidan.

africancoins

>>Are you aware that Gibraltar issued a 2 Pound coin commemorating the Diamond Wedding of Queen Elizabeth II & Prince Philip?<<

Yes, see...

http://wbcc-online.com/newsmail/news591.html

Possibly this one was only issued in a pack - I am not sure.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

BC Numismatics

Paul,
  I have seen several loose examples of the Diamond Wedding commemorative 2 Quid coin,so I can guess that some were issued for circulation as well.

Aidan.

Galapagos

Quote from: BC Numismatics on September 07, 2008, 11:35:17 AM
Paul,
  I finally picked up a short set of the Gibraltarian 2004 Tercentenary coinage today.
This set was designed by Philip Nathan, probably best known for designing the first varieties of the Britannia gold bullion coin. This info was provided to me by the Gibraltarian dealer who sold me the 2004 and 2005 sets via Ebay. He didn't actually know the answer at first, so he said he'd ask the Finance Minister - and he did!

See how the designs were rotated during the first two years of the set - a gimmick, but an interesting and possibly unique one:-

2004 Tercentenary Set.

1p.   Barbary Macaque.
2p.   The Keys of Gibraltar.
5p.   The Gibraltar Constitution Order, 1969.
10p.  Operation Torch, 1942.
20p.  The discovery of the Neanderthal Scull in Gibraltar, 1848.
50p.  The Battle of Trafalgar, 1805.
£1.   The Great Siege, 1770-83. The Koehler Siege Gun, invented by Lieutenant Koehler.
£2.   The capture of Gibraltar, 1704.

2005 Set.

1p.   The Gibraltar Constitution Order, 1969.
2p.   Operation Torch, 1942.
5p.   Barbary Macaque.
10p.  The Great Siege, 1770-83. The Koehler Siege Gun, invented by Lieutenant Koehler.
20p.  The Keys of Gibraltar.
50p.  The capture of Gibraltar, 1704.
£1.   The discovery of the Neanderthal Scull in Gibraltar, 1848.
£2.   The Battle of Trafalgar, 1805.

BC Numismatics

Do you know which mint(s) are being used for striking the Gibraltarian coinage since they stopped being struck at the Pobjoy Mint a few years ago?

Aidan.

africancoins

The new designs came in as soon as the Tower Mint started to make the coins.

The move away for Pobjoy Mint was for commemoratives as well as circulation coins.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker