Author Topic: Australian Commemorative WW2 6d - rejected designs  (Read 2289 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Australian Commemorative WW2 6d - rejected designs
« on: October 07, 2011, 12:16:03 PM »
In 1940 the Australian government had the idea of introducing a new reverse design for the sixpence in order to commemorate Australia's entry into the Second World War. George Kruger-Gray, the Royal Mint's most prominent artist of the day, was asked to work on the project and produce some designs for consideration.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Australian Commemorative WW2 6d - rejected designs
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Kruger-Gray produced three designs for consideration. The simplest of these designs showed a sword and the Southern Cross.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:54:42 PM by <k> »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 12:17:48 PM »
The second design showed "Australia drawing the sword".
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:55:03 PM by <k> »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 12:18:58 PM »
The final design showed a female figure of Liberty, surrounded by a flight of swallows.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:55:23 PM by <k> »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 12:20:41 PM »
In 1942, for reasons not given, the Australian government dropped the proposal, and no new sixpence design was issued. George Kruger-Gray died in 1943.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 12:28:15 AM »
Thanks, coffeetime. Yet another series of fun designs. The third one with what you call Liberty is confusing. The winged cap is an attribute of Hermes, who has a lot of functions, none of them war-like. However, Hermes has no breasts. Swallows, usually symbols of spring, are sometimes used as divine messengers, in particular by Hermes when he was spying on people for the gods.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 12:39:29 AM »
The third one with what you call Liberty is confusing. The winged cap is an attribute of Hermes, who has a lot of functions, none of them war-like. However, Hermes has no breasts. Swallows, usually symbols of spring, are sometimes used as divine messengers, in particular by Hermes when he was spying on people for the gods.

Peter

Yes, as regards "Liberty", I quote only what is stated in the documents. I find the designs interesting from a historical point of view, but somehow they just don't resonate with me, so I am neither surprised nor disappointed that they were dropped. They are way belowthe standard of Kruger-Gray's best work.

Offline villa66

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 02:05:39 AM »
...I find the designs interesting from a historical point of view, but somehow they just don't resonate with me, so I am neither surprised nor disappointed that they were dropped....
I couldn't agree more. Interesting to know, however. Thanks.

:) v.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 02:27:30 AM »
I too find the images intreging but they don't quite make it.  The wings on liberty bother me for one thing.
Dale

I couldn't agree more. Interesting to know, however. Thanks.

:) v.