Kutch Kori of Pragmalji II (1860 to 1875): 1862

Started by Rangnath, January 24, 2008, 06:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

According to the standard world catalog, this Kori is Y 14.2 and minted in Bhuj in 1862 to 1863.  But where did they get this date?  Partial dates might be on the flan at the bottom, but I can't quite make it out.  Can anyone give me a definite identity of the languages?  Arabic or Persian?  Nagari script, but for which language? 
I can make out, I think, Maharao Sri on the first line under the crescent moon, and part of pragmalji on the second line (gmalj). 
richie

Oesho

This a kori in the name of Queen Victoria / Pragmalji II and dated AD1862/VS1919. Ref.: Y#14.1
Note: The left and right image need to be swapped.
The inscription reads:
Obv. Persian legend: Malikah / Mu'azzam / Queen Victoria / zarb Bhujnagar / 1862
Rev. Devnagari legend: Maharao Shri / Pragmalji / 1919

The Vikrama Samvat date is just visible on the bottom edge of the reverse. What is visible is a 1. To the left of is there is a verticle line, which can only be a part of the digit 9. On the right side of the 1 is a similar symbol visible. So three digits of the date are visible (1)919.
On the obverse the 1, 8 and 6 of the date can be clearly observed on the bottom edge of the coin. The last digit is not very clear from the scan, but must be a 2.

Rangnath

The information is very welcomed! 
And thanks for correcting the position of obverse and reverse.  The corrected version will be below.
I should have guessed at the correct obverse;  the courtly formal Persian for Heads and the informal (?) Devanagari for tails.
As for the dates, I have to be more "flexible" in the future.  I reasoned that a Persian or Arabic date would be in AH, not AD and I couldn't make sense of my guesses.

Rangnath

I'll include the dates. Hope this is of interest to others. 
By AD, I refer to the calendar most likely in use in Europe and the Americas.
By VS, I refer to the Vikram Samvat Calendar.  Subtract 57 from the VS date to arrive at the AD date.
richie

Oesho

Richie, you have the symbols for VS date completely wrong. They are in Kutchi characters. See the Standard International Numeral System in any of the Standard Catalogs of World Coins.

Oesho

The VS date is correctly indicated now, well done :)

Rangnath

Thank you, Thank you and Thank you.  ;D

Dear Oesho,

I apologize for actually deleting my mistake.  I think that these communications make more sense if a viewer sees the image, then the comment and then the corrected view.  But too late. I already erased the incorrect Kutchi numeral interpretation.
In fact, I didn't know that I was looking at "Kutchi" numerals! I am very new at all of this, and by "this" I mean Indian Numismatics as well as moderating this site! 
richie